Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pull Out

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pull Out
RenaMArie
Neophyte
Member # 70297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RenaMArie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How effective is the pulling out method?

--------------------
what goes around, comes around.

Posts: 30 | From: texas | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With typical use, it's 73-82% effective, meaning between 18 and 27 out of every 100 women who rely on that method will become pregnant each year. That's less effective than, say, condoms (85% with typical use) or the pill (92% with typical use). Also, it's super important to bear in mind that the withdrawal method offers no protection against STIs - you need a barrier method like condoms for that.

Here's some more information about the withdrawal method:
Withdrawal
And about different types of birth control in general.
Birth Control Bingo!

Let us know if you have any more questions! [Smile]

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RenaMArie
Neophyte
Member # 70297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RenaMArie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you [Smile] I posted a few days ago but never got a response, I understand that everybody here are volunteers and will reply as quickly as possible. I recently had enough courage to send my mom a 11 page text message explaining that i wanted to be on birth control, considering she knows i lost my virginity about a year ago, when the subject came up last year she just said i was too young, so i never brought it up again. (I was 13 had just turned 14) now i'll be 15 in a few weeks so i had asked her thinking maybe she would change her mind, i come to find out when i sent the message she was in the emergency room due to kidney stones [Frown] she's getting better though and has been released. Anyways we were on the phone and she was bringing it up but i got nervous and quickly changed the subject, she keeps telling me we will talk but she hasn't said anything yet, and when i bring it up she doesn't say anything? I don't want her to avoid it, because i really don't want to go behind her back, that is why i asked her rather than somebody else.. I don't know what to do. -__- Also I had said I had unprotected sex about a week ago, he pulled out but i'm still afraid. My period isn't due for another two weeks I believe, Recently i have been having very thick clear discharge which is normal for me it just freaks me out sometimes cause it will literally like hang down and its all stretchy and gooey and gross. I asked my doctor about it and she said its normal for me and it just means my body is working right...

--------------------

Posts: 30 | From: texas | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'm sorry you had to wait for a response; that's right, things are hectic and we try to get back to people as quickly as we can. [Smile]

It's difficult to know if you've had a significant pregnancy risk here: however, there are a couple things we can ask in terms of whether you used the withdrawal method well. Did your partner pull out well before ejaculating (not immediately before)? Too, do you know if he had urinated since his previous ejaculation (since that would mean his pre-ejaculate would be less likely to contain sperm)?

You may, however, have had an STI risk using withdrawal. Have you or your partner ever had any kind of testing done for STIs?

In terms of obtaining contraception, can you explain to me what the options you're considering are, and what the barriers are to you (for example) getting those without having to go through your mother, if necessary? You've written here about using condoms before, for example, and since you've also written here with concerns that you might be pregnant, I do think it would be a good idea for you to get and use a more reliable form of birth control. We have an awesome article I think you'd find useful:
Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To

Finally, discharge that is stretchy at certain times of your cycle can be normal. It's good if you had concerns with this that you spoke to your doctor, though, so that you know nothing is wrong. Too, there's nothing gross about your normal, healthy vaginal secretions. [Smile] Why don't you give this a read?
Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

--------------------
In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I dont know what I am. I dont know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RenaMArie
Neophyte
Member # 70297

Its okay i am very understanding [Smile] And i'm not sure if he knew he was cumming? like he knew but he kinda like froze for awhile and stopped..and was like im already cumming so i got off but i kinda felt something dripping down my leg, i was aroused but i do think to the point where i would drip? i was already some may have got in and leaked down or something.. and im not sure if he did or not.. i dont think he did. and i haven't had any kids of testing before all i got was a shot for hpv but i think thats only for cervical cancer? The guys ive had unprotected sex with were either virgins or have had sex once before me with condoms so im not sure if theres any risks there? i know it is very unsafe having unprotected sex but i really dont think when it comes to it and im really started to get scared [Frown] I'm considering the pill, but im not 100% sure because of the bad side effects? but i suppose all forms of birth control have them but i would definetly like to look in to see what other forms there are. and what to you mean by barriers?

--------------------

atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When patrick asked about barriers, he was asking what is preventing you from getting more reliable forms of birth control.

Any time you have sex without a barrier with someone, you have an STI risk.

Also, by what you've described, it's likely you have had a significant pregnancy risk.

I *strongly* encourage you to see a doctor or go to a clinic like planned parenthood to get tested for STIs and talk to a doctor about more reliable forms of birth control. There are a lot out there, but do keep in mind that few besides condoms protect against STIs. Using condoms each and every time is the best way to protect against STIs, and you'll get pregnancy protection on top of that.

You said that you "don't think" when it comes to having unprotected sex. To me, that may be an indication that you should hold off on sexual activity until you feel like you can consistently use some form of birth control AND access reproductive health care.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

I just want to add a few things to that: with the pregnancy risk it's likely you've had, a pregnancy test won't be accurate until either a week after a missed period, or three weeks after your risk, so from what you've told us, what you need to do now is wait until you expect your period to arrive.

Having sex with someone with a condom once does not make it any less likely that they won't have STIs if you then have unprotected sex with them. It's very important that you get tested for STIs as soon as you can, do you feel that's something you're able to arrange? Too, those places like planned parenthood will be able to help you out with contraception. [Smile]

(Know that STI testing isn't about you having done anything wrongly - it's a good idea for anyone who is sexually active to get tested regularly, too.)

How are you feeling about hearing all of this?

--------------------

RenaMArie
Neophyte
Member # 70297

Good news I started my period [Smile] So no worries there, I am looking into getting tested though I don't think i have anything but i'm going to just for the reassurance. I'd like to talk about something else though just some advice on some stuff i have going on..do i need to start a new post or may i continue here?

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing: it's just fine to stay in the same thread for whatever else you'd like to talk about.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.