Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Understanding penis angles?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Understanding penis angles?
OpheliaBedelia
Neophyte
Member # 71763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OpheliaBedelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been about five months since my boyfriend and I have been sexually active (and because of summer break, we've had about 3 months of activity). During this time, we've rarely strayed from traditional missionary position; it is definitely our most successful and mutually enjoyable position.

We have both been somewhat open to the idea of trying new positions (and have, to a rather small degree) but general awkwardness has prevented our branching out. Especially with precarious rooming situations, we were somewhat hesitant to pick curiosity (which required bravery, time we were afraid we didn't have, and new skill-sets) over a more convenient form of enjoyment. Thankfully, our future rooming situations will be more fortunate and roommates more communicative, so the time aspect of this problem will be less unpredictable. When summer break is over I am excited to try again, but worry about possible obstacles preventing our attempts from being successful.

I think my main concern is my cluelessness when it comes to "complementing" my boyfriend's penis outside of missionary position. When my boyfriend's penis is erect, it lies flat against his stomach and it does not move from this position easily. Attempts to move the penis past a certain acute angle can be painful. After a somewhat unfruitful search for answers, it seems that this is because the suspensory ligament of the penis, which supports the penis when it is erect, is "tighter" in younger men. It's been rather difficult finding out any more relevant information about this part of the anatomy without getting inundated by pages advertising penis enlargement surgeries, which also seem to involve the suspensory ligament.

I certainly don't want to imply that there is anything wrong with either of our anatomies, I just worry about our finding ways to experiment with sexual intercourse without risking hurting him or putting myself in some difficult-to-maneuver positions.

I do celebrate the successes we've had with missionary position, and would not be terribly upset if it were our only really successful option. However, I am unsure how to proceed... should we continue to experiment, or will doing so risk hurting him?

(Also, I hope this isn't breaking the forum rules; I'm sorry if this has crossed the line of explicitness. I was just hoping for advice on how to approach the rut I think we might not need to be stuck in.)

[ 07-15-2011, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: OpheliaBedelia ]

Posts: 32 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he is actually worried about how his penis looks while erect then he can talk to his doctor about, but if there's no pain and this isn't something that's changed then it doesn't sound like anything is wrong. Just to get that out of the way.

About sex positions - yeah, you should always stop if it hurts (assuming pain wasn't what you were going for). Maybe there are only a few positions that will work for you; that's OK! You can keep trying new things, and branch away from what the "books" suggest. Find things that are fun and mutually pleasurable for both of you and go with that.

Also, not all sex has to involve intercourse. There are lots of sexual things you can do with one another that will get you out of the missionary position and doesn't involve his penis in your vagina. Again, go with that feels good and is fun!

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpheliaBedelia
Neophyte
Member # 71763

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OpheliaBedelia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this seems to be the case. He doesn't seem to be hurting innately and is healthy,etc., so I also don't think it's a problem.

I suppose what I'm still (probably irrationally?) worried about is that one day we'll get overenthusiastic and he'll end up with an injury that didn't need to happen.

Am I underestimating the "durability" of his penis? I am hoping that unwanted pain will be avoided if through clear communication, but... is there a chance that something regrettable could happen in a split second? Is such cautious thinking silly?

Posts: 32 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's pretty unlikely that a serious injury could happen before either one of you realized something was wrong. What's far more likely is that he'd be uncomfortable and the two of you could adjust before anything happened.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5761 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpheliaBedelia
Neophyte
Member # 71763

Thanks so much. That makes me feel much better about things.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're so welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5761 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.