Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ovulation Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovulation Question
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I have posted here a couple of times about having "irrational pregnancy scares," and I have another question about my cycle. For the past 6 months or so, I have been trying to predict when I am ovulating in hopes that maybe I can ease my pregnancy worries. I know that to be truly accurate, I need to take my temperature which I also plan to do very soon. However, I have just been examining my discharge for the time being. The past few times, I have noticed that I only get this certain type of discharge for like a few days a month (stretchy, plentiful, slippery, etc.) and sure enough, about 2 weeks later, I get my period. I never get this discharge at any other time so I figure that it is a decent indicator that it is my ovulation period. My question is, I have read a million books and sites that say that the day when the discharge is most plentiful and really stretchy is the ovulation day...meaning that in approx 14 days, you should get a period. However, I have noticed sometimes that I will have a day when my discharge is the most plentiful and stretchy...and then have similar discharge a few days later that is less stretchy and less plentiful...and my period comes 14 days after THAT day, not the day when it was most plentiful. I hope I explained that well enough. Can you help explain why this is so?
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Periods don't always show up exactly 14 days after ovulation: often they do, but sometimes they don't. So, what you're seeing is very likely just normal variation. As much as we'd like them to, our bodies don't always work exactly as we predict. [Smile]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NoName     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay that makes sense. I have read that the "luteal phase" is very consistent at 14 to 16 days, is that true? And if you ovulate, you HAVE to have a period, is that also right?
Posts: 172 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, that phase doesn't tend to vary much.

In terms of having to have a period if you ovulate, no, that's not always true. It often is what happens, but for a bunch of different reasons, sometimes people don't always develop enough uterine lining to shed it when implantation doesn't happen or have their body send the chemical signals to menstruate.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoName
Activist
Member # 68739

Oh I see! Thanks a bunch! Wow those answers were fast!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.