Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Risk assessment, help please...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Risk assessment, help please...
she-thulhu
Neophyte
Member # 68340

Icon 11 posted      Profile for she-thulhu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so yesterday afternoon my boyfriend and I had intercourse for the first time (both each other's "first"). *insert applause here* I can't say I was expecting a whole lot, but it was just right. That's not what I'm curious about, though.

Our choice of contraception was a condom backed up with spermicidal film (because I'm not sensitive to it, and I don't want something hormonal right now). I inserted the film high inside before intercourse, when I was very wet, so it seemed to dissolve rather quickly. We used a condom for all genital contact, and it did not break (as far as I can tell) or slip off all the way. BUT...it did slip up about halfway. It was still covering the head of his penis and then about another two inches when I pulled myself off of him (he is on the smaller side, though).

I am still well under the 72-hour limit for EC, as I have a box in my dresser for more...obvious failures. I'm not "freaked out", really...we both had the "what if something HAPPENS" talk and have decided that we are not in a position to raise a child at this stage in our lives (I'm 18 and he's 19, both college students). Personally, I have decided that if I get pregnant, I will terminate.

I won't be able to "test" for at least a couple weeks if this is a high risk, because I got off my period about 2 days ago. So, how bad of a risk was presented here?

Edit: If it helps, and I'm sure it does- yes, he did ejaculate.

Edit AGAIN: So, I just talked to my boyfriend. He said that he did not notice any of his semen seeping down, and there was none in his pubic hair or anything when he took the condom off. He said it all got into the condom, as far as he could tell, even with the slipping. So...while this does cut away most of my concern, I'm still looking for some "sexpert" advice. [Smile]

[ 06-25-2011, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: she-thulhu ]

Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
she-thulhu
Neophyte
Member # 68340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for she-thulhu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so it has been a few days here...and in the absence of any advice, I have decided not to take that pill and to just wait this out. Two days ago I began to get my usual signs that I may be ovulating (I check my mucus every day and have been for four months. I have noticed a mid-month pattern). I got some EWCM two days ago, and yesterday I got it with some sharp pains in my lower left abdomen, along with some cramping.

I guess I just want some input. I personally don't feel like this was a huge risk- but I do want someone to share their opinion, please.

Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry you've had to wait for a response, she-thulhu! Unfortunately, summer is always a busy time for us, and we're especially short-handed this year. But no one should ever have to go without a response, and I'm sorry this happened.

I have to agree with your assessment: it does not sound like you have to worry about a pregnancy risk. The condom did not come all the way off, and you did not spill anything when you pulled out.

If you want to know for sure, you can take a test in another week or so.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
she-thulhu
Neophyte
Member # 68340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for she-thulhu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thank you!

Ah...now I can rest just a little easier. I was going to just go with my gut instinct if I didn't hear from anyone, but knowing from your assessment that it's nothing big to worry about makes me feel good.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.