Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Scared and confused :( and a lil embarassed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scared and confused :( and a lil embarassed
lovetoride
Neophyte
Member # 64563

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lovetoride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I have been on the birht control Seasonique for about a month and a half now. I called my doctor about 2 weeks into the pill because i was still spotting a week after my period. He said i was ok and i relaxed. I had two weeks where i was not bleeding at all, then i started spotting very lightly and now (about 3 weeks) im still spotting. it goes from nothing at all to "heavy" spotting i guess you could say? is this normal? my bf is really good about helping me out because i tend to over react and get anxious, and he read i can spot non stop for 3 to 5 months while my body gets used to it?

Question two: For the past two to three months i have had at least one day during my period where i will have blood from my anus. It was only one time after i took a #2 and that was it. Since this lil non stop spotting episode it has been happening more frequently [Frown] . It goes from once a day to every other day, and sometimes there is like a period type blood clot in my stool (sorry this is so gross). Its not really painful its just scary. I tend to get really stressed out and am hoping this isnt serious. I do not have a good relationship with my parents and am scared to bring this up.What should i do? [Frown]

Posts: 14 | From: usa | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For your first question, the information your boyfriend found is correct. It can take around three months for the body to get used to hormonal birth control, and during that time irregular bleeding or spotting are common side effects.

As far as your second question is concerned, there are several explanations possible. Some women experience digestive problems right before or during their period, such as softer stools or constipation. And constipation can lead to harder stools, which may cause some bleeding from the strain. Have you experienced harder stools? If so, that may be what's going on.

Another possible explanation is that the bleeding isn't coming from your anus at all, but that it's simply blood from your period that you are seeing.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joey beat me to it!

[ 06-22-2011, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovetoride
Neophyte
Member # 64563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovetoride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My digestive tract has been somewhat irregular (prob cuz its summer n im eating a bunch of junk and what not) , but it has been somewhat normal lately. I freaked out when this started happening and googled it (prob not a good idea cuz i have mild anxiety) and heard about Endometriosis? but im really not in any pain?
Posts: 14 | From: usa | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you've had issues with your period before this (very painful periods, irregular periods) there's no reason to think this is endometriosis: it doesn't generally show up just as digestive issues. However, if you are concerned, the best thing really is to talk to a doctor. If you'd rather not talk to your parents to do that, there are ways around that and we can help you find healthcare you can access on your own if that's something you need.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovetoride
Neophyte
Member # 64563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovetoride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks. If it is not caousing me any pain and only shows up during my period (which has been 24/7 since my body is gettin used to the birth control) should i be concerned?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Not likely. If you do start to experience pain, then that's something to look into, but at the moment I'd say it's likely just a bit of digestive upset from your period, which is very common.

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just as an additional note, because I forgot to mention it in my original reply: Seasonique is actually a type of birth control that suppresses the period, and with those types of pills, spotting is actually a common side-effect throughout, and not just at the beginning.

That said, if the spotting is very heavy and/or if it goes on continuously, you may want to bring it up with your gynecologist again.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovetoride
Neophyte
Member # 64563

thanks for the help [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.