Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can menstrual blood irritate skin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can menstrual blood irritate skin?
ScarletteSecret
Neophyte
Member # 66431

Icon 11 posted      Profile for ScarletteSecret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there
I am 15 years old and this is my first real period, I had one last month but it was extremely light. This one is super heavy, I have been going through a super tampon every two hours. I have so irritated skin around my bum and outer labia, I was just wondering if this could be caused by menstrual blood or if it is just from excessive wiping due to copious amounts of blood. Also is it alright to put Vaseline on this area or inside the outer labia on the inner labia, vulva and clitoral hood or should I use something else. If so, what?

Posts: 11 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your own menstrual blood shouldn't be irritating your skin, but frequent wiping can be irritating, and some people also find that commercial brands of tampons or pads are irritating to their skin as well. Vaseline may work to soothe some of that irritation, but a better choice would probably be something that can be easily removed with water, like pure aloe vera gel. A pharmacist or healthcare professional would be able to recommend something you can use as well.

Too? Going through a super tampon every two hours is pretty heavy bleeding, so if that continues to be a pattern for you, it would be wise to check in with a healthcare provider about that.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarletteSecret
Neophyte
Member # 66431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarletteSecret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay well maybe I should specify a little bit, I am now going through a super o.b tamPon every hour and twenty minutes or so. I have irritation on my outer labia and a bit on my bum, it is now almost raw and I guess it is most likely from excessive wiping. So putting Vaseline on my outer labia and bum be okay? Because they do that for babies and it seems to be okay.
Posts: 11 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarletteSecret
Neophyte
Member # 66431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScarletteSecret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction, the rawness is one my outer labia only near the perineum and my bum in he same area.
And just for scale reference o.b comes in
Regular for lout flow
Super for moderate flow
Super plus for heavy flow,
This is right off the box

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vaseline should be fine.

When you say you're going through a tampon every hour and twenty minutes, are they fully saturated with blood when you take them out?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScarletteSecret
Neophyte
Member # 66431

Yes, often they have started to leak onto the pantiliner that I wear as a precaution. I can feel it start to leak out and I have to run to the bathroom in the middle of class. Also I am getting quite a few fair sized clots every time I use the washroom, is this normal as well?
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoops, I didn't read the whole thread before answering. sorry about that.

[ 06-02-2011, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: CoatRack ]

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.