Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » antibiotics - dont affect pill after all??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: antibiotics - dont affect pill after all??
Trippy
Activist
Member # 30313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again!

Just a little query....

I went to my doctor this week and she prescribed me some antibiotics, and when I asked if they would affect the pill (as I had been told many times in the past certain antibiotics do)she told me that, in fact, there has been recent news that antibiotics actually dont affect the pill at all, despite years of thinking they do.

I mean, I don't know whether to take her word for it as she is a doctor and so surely she would know best, but at the same time I can't find anything to support this on the internet. I'm just a bit confused. I've been prescribed two months worth of antibiotics and, to be frank, it will be a bit of a pain if my contraceptive doesnt work for two whole months, and it would be great news if it turned out to be true that they dont affect it!

I just wondered if you guys had by any chance heard anything about this lately?

Thanks,

Posts: 83 | From: at my desk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are some that have not been linked with this, but as far as I know not all of them. Best thing to do is to ask your pharmacist (But then again we always say to consider using two methods anyway).

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trippy
Activist
Member # 30313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi sorry I only just got this reply now.

I know in the past they said certain antibiotics dont affect it, but now I've been told ALL antibiotics dont affect it. I just wondered if anyone else had been told this recently?

Posts: 83 | From: at my desk | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not heard any switch to it being all antibiotics, no. But again, something you should discuss with a pharmacist, they a lot of times give more specific information than doctors (as they have to keep up with the most recent information on all drugs).

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trippy
Activist
Member # 30313

Okay thanks, I'll give them a call [Smile]

xx

Trippy
Activist
Member # 30313

Just thought I would let you guys know, the pharmacy clarified that what the doctors said was right, antibiotics of any kind apparently dont affect the combined contraceptive pill. Just in case you guys wanted to know...

xxx

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.