Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » accuracy of blood pregnancy test

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: accuracy of blood pregnancy test
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jfk79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I just took a quantitative blood pregnancy test and had an hcg level of 2.0, they said it was negative as anything greater than 5 is positive. It was taken about 26 days from sexual activity, and a week after my period was due. Can be sure that this is accurate and that I'm not pregnant? I need to know because I'm about to start safyral birth control to regulate my periods and the package says that its better to be a Sunday starter but you cannot take it if you are pregnant, that's why I need to be certain that I'm not. I've read on some forums that women have had neg blood tests also till the 5th or 6th weeks and I'm extremely worried since I only tested almost 4 weeks since activity.
Posts: 16 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can trust the results - testing negative several weeks into pregnancy would be very rare. However, you can double check with the healthcare provider who did the test if you need some reassurance.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jfk79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the nurse practioner told me that it was negative as it was lower than five, I just wanted to make sure from you guys and know that I'm safe to start birth control in three days. Do you think that its safe?
Posts: 16 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say it's safe, yes.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

So I'm not pregnant?
jfk79
Neophyte
Member # 60022

Hello?
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi jfk,

We do our best to get around to answering questions here, but we are volunteers, so please don't be impatient with us if we haven't got around to answering your latest post, especially when an answer has already been given to the question.

If you are still concerned, even though we don't believe you need to be, you can do another pregnancy test, but it is very very unlikely you are pregnant.

Rebecca

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.