Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » pap smears and the pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pap smears and the pill
Destinee Carols
Activist
Member # 54626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destinee Carols     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took a look at some of the articles on this site about gynecologist visits and pap smears and what they are... Well, I was wondering - my situation is this:

I went to a walk-in about a month ago to get birth control and I was given a sample pack to see how it worked with me. The doctor told me to come back before the pack was completed for...assessment? A pap test? The problem is I was generally nervous about the whole trip [Razz] that I don't remember what it was I was supposed to go back for. I do know that this form of BC is working out for me (no adverse effects I can tell, that is) and I do need a prescription...but, now that I am sexually active, do I need to be going in for a pap test already? I know it's a good thing, but...my parents don't know I'm sexually active and so I'm finding rides from my roommate or boyfriend if possible, but between classes and their availability and just having time in general, I'm not sure...how long does a pelvic exam (?) take, and is a pap smear necessary right now? I've been sexually active for almost three weeks now, I think, three or four times. I'm not particularly concerned about STIs since we use condoms and we're both each other's first sexual partners.

Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just call that doctor and ask what they want you to come back in for?

Paps are currently recommended to begin no later than when someone has been sexually active (not just intercourse) for three years, and/or when someone is 21, whichever comes first. But some practices have starting paps and pelvic exams (which is separate from a pap in terms of what it's for) on a different schedule in terms of their own guidelines.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destinee Carols
Activist
Member # 54626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Destinee Carols     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>.> Sadly their website isn't very extensive so I don't remember the doctor's name - could recognize her from a picture but there are none by the names on the site - and I called, but they've modified their menu to such that I'm either speaking to make an appointment or to speak to the manager, which isn't so much what I'm going for...

It being walk-in, I was planning on going Wednesday, to at least get a prescription, since their FAQ says an appointment is required for a pap test and I'd like not to take chances with having to cancel and pay a fee... [Frown]

Posts: 89 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.