Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Broke up with my 'FIRST' - afraid to have sex again...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Broke up with my 'FIRST' - afraid to have sex again...
AmandaJune
Neophyte
Member # 46606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaJune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok - so my boyfriend of one year broke up with me about a week ago. I love my virginity to him. I don't regret that. But the idea of having sex with anyone else scares me. I'm afraid to and I'm not sure why. I just get really scared thinking about it. Advice would be appreciated.
Posts: 25 | From: Vermont | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry that you had a breakup.

I'd say that one week after a big breakup you're bound to feel like this and it's probably WAY too soon to worry about that.

In other words, right now, while this is all still so fresh, of course the idea of sex with a new partner is going to be daunting, and may not even be appealing. That can be all the more so when you've only had one person with whom you were sexual, so a lot of your sexuality is associated with that person. But you're not always going to feel the way that you feel right now.

How about for right now, you just let yourself grieve and start to recoup, and set aside things that may be way ahead in the future?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmandaJune
Neophyte
Member # 46606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmandaJune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. It does make me feel a bit better. Although I think some of my fears stem from my fear of HIV. I knew that my first didn't have HIV and/or AIDS cause he fought Muay Thai and had to be blood tested before each fight for those reasons. So I'm afraid of someone I possible meet in the future having it. I know condoms protect, but what it the condom breaks. I guess it's just a scary thing for me. I never plan on having casual sex or anything like that. But just how can you trust someone?
Posts: 25 | From: Vermont | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, that's a pretty specific worry there. If there a reason you're worried about that specifically (I mean as opposed to wanting to make sure a partner's been tested for STIs on a full range scale?)?

One of the biggest things about being with someone, is that you have to be able to trust that person, be open and willing to communication about sex, as well as about safety - and how you plan on you both being safe. Some people find they like going with someone and being tested together, while other people are okay with just knowing a partner has been tested and tested clear (or if not how they can both best protect themselves and one another.) Once with a partner, you want to continue getting tested about every six months.

[ 02-28-2011, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3415 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd look at it this way: your ex got tested because of sports. Anyone you're with in the future can also get tested, whether or not they play sports. The fact that your ex got tested often also doesn't mean their risk for it was any lower than anyone else's.

So, what you want to do is, like Stephanie suggested, and like we suggest for everyone, all the time, talk about safer sex with partners in advance, and insist on partners being tested regularly (for all STIs, not just HIV), as well as testing regularly yourself.

That way there's no difference between anyone else and your ex in that regard.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.