Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Problems with arousal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems with arousal?
Vralaena
Neophyte
Member # 53734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vralaena         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a little embarrassing, but I am pretty desperate for answers, so i'll give it a go.
I am a 17-year-old girl, currently dating a fantastic boy. i really enjoy being with him, but the problem is I can't get aroused! He's the first person i've ever really 'been' with, so i have no prior experience. When he performs oral sex or anything like that on me (and he clearly knows what he's doing, haha) i don't really feel much. we've never actually had sex. sometimes, if there is enough 'momentum' so to speak, i do feel a sort of building sensation but it's not what i'd define as pleasurable and it drops off quite quickly - sort of like I have to pee? (hence the embarrassing). this sort of sensation also occurs when i try to masturbate vigorously; again, too little and i feel nothing at all.
so there's my dilemma. any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Vralena,

Your situation isn't unique and there's no need to feel embarasssed - well done on asking the question and trying to find answers!

Are there situations where you feel aroused besides when you're having sex?

Do you think that it's possible that you're not ready for sexual activity just yet?

Rebecca

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vralaena
Neophyte
Member # 53734

whew, that's a relief. thanks so much; this site really rocks.
um, not really lately and not too often, but yeah, sometimes arousal does happen other times. steamy movie scenes, that sort of thing, haha.
i'd definitely consider that, but i'm seventeen! isn't my body supposed to be hormone central at this point? to be honest, it sounds silly but i'm worried i'm 'broken' or something.

Posts: 6 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that arousal and desire is mostly about hormones is problematic, because, on the whole, it's really not. That's one piece, sure, but only one of many. If it helps to understand it in a different way, in old age, when people's sexual hormones have radically changed and diminished, plenty of folks still have strong sexual desires.

All of our pace with this is radically individual, and really isn't about age. With women in particular, it can take a while for many to identify what brings about feelings of desire, what they desire, and what is and feels earnestly sexy and sexual, uniquely. That can be particularly hard if you're getting a lot of messages about what SHOULD turn you on or when you should feel sexual, since so many of those messages aren't realistic for so many people.

So, this guy is fantastic: but does even just being around him make your knees turn to jelly? Do you feel strong desires to be sexual with him?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vralaena
Neophyte
Member # 53734

not a strong desire, no, but it's there.
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing is, that tells you a lot. Sexual desire, when we feel it, and want to expect that sexual activities are going to feel profound, needs to be strong. Not just kind of hanging around somewhere filing its nails. [Smile]

If and when our desire is lukewarm, the most we can usually expect of our responses is that they, too, will be lukewarm.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vralaena
Neophyte
Member # 53734

haha! well, that does kind of explain a lot. so you think when that desire warms up things will get better?
Heather
Member # 3

I'm quite sure of it.

But in the meantime, how about not having any kind of sex (including masturbation) unless you are really feeling that desire strongly?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Vralaena
Neophyte
Member # 53734

hm. that's an interesting suggestion. i'll give it a shot. thank you so much. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.