Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Restarting birth control, no period, etc.!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Restarting birth control, no period, etc.!
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys. Last month I had to go off of my birth control (Velivet). I called for the refill last minute, and hadn't kept track of the refills. My doctor who issues the refills works out of the college health clinic, and that was closed over Christmas break, and I was about to leave the state for a couple weeks, so I didn't stress and just went off for 1 cycle.

I went to the pharmacy today and they told me I had one refill left (that alone confused me enough since I'd tried so hard to get a refill over break!) so they filled it for me. This Thursday will be four weeks after I was supposed to start the pack that I should have had over break. So, the plan was to start this new pack on Thursday.

My question is: I haven't had my period yet. Is this due to my body being confused by the changes in hormone level? Should I start the new pack on Thursday like usual, or should I wait for my period and start when it is over? I'm not having sex right now so that is not an issue. I'm just concerned about making this easier on my body and doing it in a way that makes sense.

Thanks.

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going off the pill does absolutely confuse your body, and it can take up to a few cycles for your menstrual cycle to get back into the swing of things.

The best thing to do now would be to wait for your period to show up, and then take the pill on the first day, or the first Sunday after it starts. And, of course, should you become sexually active again in the meantime you'll want to remember that this is essentially like starting over from zero in terms of protection, so you'll want to back up with condoms for the entire first month.

And for the future, you'll want to try and always have a spare pack around, so you can avoid situations like this.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks, will do. How can you get a spare pack? I'm never able to get a refill until the one I have is almost out.
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Firefly-
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 26516

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Firefly-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes your doctor can prescribe it so that you get 3 packs at a time, or you can ask the pharmacist to give you more than one pack at a time if you have enough refills. I'm not sure if it works like that everywhere, but my doctor prescribed the pill for me as 3 packs with 4 refills to cover the whole year, so you can ask if something like that would be an option.

--------------------
Vero
Scarleteen Volunteer
Help sustain sex ed and Scarleteen: donate!

Posts: 1345 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.