Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Things Falling Apart

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Things Falling Apart
veroniablues
Neophyte
Member # 52918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veroniablues     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been in a relationship with my current boyfriend for a little over a year now, and up until recently our relationship was awesome. It was like a dream, we never fought or anything.
He's a year older than me and will be going off to college next year. He is currently out of state, looking at colleges before he makes a decision. He has friends who live in the area he is in, so he was with them last night and called me. He was acting sooo full of himself and not himself at all. He started yelling at me over the phone (in front of his friends) for telling him that I wasn't going to be doing anything today, saying that I made him feel bad. We have not talked at all today and I'm very stressed.
He has been mean to me every time he calls or texts me, and it seems that he does not have much respect for what I have to say anymore.
He is my first love, I can honestly say, but I'm scared that I am starting to lose him. We have planned to try and stay together while he's gone, but I'm starting to feel that this may not be possible. I've been on an emotional roller coaster all of today, and I just really need some words of wisdom.
How do I tell him that he is not acting like himself without sounding like I'm accusing him of something? Could it just be stress from the college-hunting process? Help!

Posts: 3 | From: WA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Veronia,

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time with your boyfriend - at times of transition like going to college etc it can be hard to maintain relationships and stay focused on them.It's also possible that the two of you are getting older now and drifting apart. It's also a case that it can be easy to take relationships and people for granted when you're stressed out and undergoing huge change.

Do you know what I mean?

I'm not excusing your boyfriend's behaviour - he has nor right to take any stress or worry he has out on you. The only way that you will know what's going on with your boyfriend and yourself is if you talk to him.

There are certain ways that will come across as less aggressive or hostile - you can use "I" statements, so say things like "I feel" or "I think" etc, rather than accusatory phrases.

So you have "I sometimes feel very hurt" rather than "You're really mean to me and you're taking your stress out on me"

Do you get the difference?

Has this helped?

How would you feel if this relationship is coming to an end?

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veroniablues
Neophyte
Member # 52918

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veroniablues     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand the difference, and I am going to talk to him as soon as he is home for a while and more relaxed.
I do not want the relationship to end - it makes me teary eyed to think about it because I've dedicated a whole year to him and I don't want it to end like this. I still care for him very, very much.
But I do hope that your advice works! Thank you very much.

Posts: 3 | From: WA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.