Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » i dont like sex (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: i dont like sex
georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for georgiexx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, thats what i will say [Smile]
my mum has said that to me, but i really cant imagine not being with him, he is caring and funny and shows he loves me in other ways, things that are nothing to do with sex. he has brought me lovely things. he says hes never felt this way about anyone else. all his friends have told me how hes not been the way he is with me, or talked about me the way he does with any other girlfriends in the past. my mum also said that while hes lovely, hes not very mature sexually yet, cos hes a 20 year old guy.
he does try and make me feel good when we are doing it, and i probably dont really help the situation, because like we said earlier, i just go along with it. i really hope that when i tell him he will be understanding and nice about it, otherwise i will actually be devastated.
and the one time it felt nice, it was the first time i had ever done something sexual, while sober. in fact it was only the second time i had kissed someone while sober. all the other ones, i was drunk. but the first time i did stuff with my boyfriend i was sober, and pretty most of the times we do it i am sober. apart from that it was no different to any other times

Posts: 158 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so in terms of past experiences, is it right them to say that the one time you did something with someone sober, it felt good? And then that all the other times you were drunk?

(Just in case you don't know, being drunk or even tipsy actually makes our whole bodies less sexually responsive. Alcohol inhibits sexual response, in other words.)

If so, is it then also right to say that so far, you've only had sex you have not enjoyed sober and that has not felt good, with THIS partner?

(We can talk more about this person as a choice for a sexual partner a bit later: I think having that talk with him first will give us a lot more information to talk about that with.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for georgiexx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, the one and only time it felt nice i was sober, all the others before that i was drunk. a couple weeks later i did things with that same guy, and i was pretty much sober (i had been a bit drunk earlier in the night) and it felt horrible.
with my boyfriend, i have never enjoyed anything sexual, sober or drunk. when im drunk though, i have more of an urge to do it, and i am less inhibited. but it still feels like nothing.

Posts: 158 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's more likely to feel like nothing because, again, alcohol inhibits sexual response. It can make people feel less inhibited, and more likely to say yes to sex or have sex, but at the same time, it makes your brain and body less able to respond.

I think this information, about the drunk/sober responses are really important to just keep in your pocket. I also think knowing that nothing has ever felt enjoyable sexually with this person is very important.

It may be, as we've talked about, that you just aren't there yet with this boyfriend and moved way too fast, and slowing things WAY down, and then only building gradually up as they DO feel good, and you DO want sex for you, not mostly for him, will change that.

It also may be that you just really don't have sexual feelings with this partner that you'd like to (but don't), or that something about the dynamics of sex in this relationship, or his sexuality, just really don't work for you.

But it sounds like you care for him a lot, and really want to be with him otherwise, so I think if you can set these limits and start having these conversations, and he responds well to them, that it sounds worth giving it time with this new approach to see how that goes for you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

yeah, i know alcohol does do that. i didnt really care that it didnt feel good with the other boys though, because i wasnt interested in them, i just wanted to feel validated, and it made me feel like i was 'fanciable'. but i do care about my boyfriend alot, and im very interested in him, and i love being with him, so i really do care how sex feels for me when im doing it with him.
what does it mean to have 'sexual feelings'? how do i know if the feelings i have are sexual?
i will start having the conversations with him.

Heather
Member # 3

(Georgiexx: I'm going to have to pick the rest of this up again with you tomorrow. Sorry for the delay!)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

thats okay [Smile] sorry i keep rambling on, its just that this problem preoccupies my mind most of the time.
georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

also, just to make myself clear in case i havent. i WANT to be sexual with my boyfriend, and i WANT to have sex. i dont want to want it, i actually do want it. but it just doesnt feel nice, so its disappointing and frustrating. so i just want to LIKE it. i also feel bitter because i watch my boyfriend enjoy it, and then have an orgasm, and i get absolutely nothing. also, i get signs of arousal, i get wet, and i get flushed all across my chest, which i know is a sign of arousal. i just dont physically feel anything. also, the one time it felt nice with that guy, i didnt even fancy him, i didnt fancy him at all, i didnt even find him attractive, so i have no idea why it felt nice with him that one time. just thought i would say this in case i have been sounding like im just not interested in sex full stop, because i definately am interested in sex, which is why its so frustrating and confusing when i get nothing out of it.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm just waking up and am here. No need to be sorry for talking a lot about this, it's a big conversation!

So, last we left off, you were asking me how one identified having sexual feelings for someone else. That's a pretty big question, too, because it's not the same for everyone, but I'll do my best. In shortest-of-short, it's having strong feelings that you want to be sexual with someone. You see them, think of them, smell them, and have the desire to get physical, be naked, explore their bodies, have them explore yours. Your body will tend to feel tingly, including in your genitals. You might even feel a little dizzy sometimes, or find it hard to think perfectly clearly. If and when you do get sexual with someone you have those feelings for, being sexual with them feels like an answer to that question, if you know what I mean.

I do want to check in on a couple things just to rule some basic stuff out, if that's okay. Growing up, were you raised in a way around sex and your genitals that was healthy, not full of guilt or shame or secrecy? Any sexual abuse -- or other abuse -- in your life history?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

ok, well i get really strong feelings to be physically close to him, i can never have him close enough! i like being naked with him, i love certain parts of his body like his chest and i like to touch it and stroke it and stuff. when we are in bed i have to have my leg wrapped around him or be touching in some way, because i love it, i feel like hes mine. not in a creepy possessive way, but like, in an affectionate loving kind of way.
i have never been sexually abused. in my opinion, my family life was and still is terrible. my family are very dysfunctional, i grew up with my parents having huge rows, and i used to get very scared, especially because when my dad was angry, he would be very scary because of his bellowing voice and occasional throwing of things, like one time he threw the ironing board across the room towards my mum, that time sticks in my mind, along with a few others. that was when i was very very young. my family are also dysfunctional in other ways but i dont really know to explain it. i have never known my parents to be 'together'. from when i was about 8, my mum shared a room with me and my sister, that was for about 7/8 years, then she moved into my brothers old room cos he moved out. i have never ever seen or witnessed my parents 'in love'. one time, for about a week, when i was about 12, my mum said they were 'trying again'. the very thought of this sickened me, it made me feel sick and horrible. then one night when me and my sister were in bed, we heard them having sex downstairs, and this disturbed me SO much, my sister reacted exactly the same, we started screaming and crying, ALOT. i felt sick, disturbed and disgusted that they were doing that, it just felt so wrong to me. a few days later they had a huge row and things were back to 'normal' again. with them hating each other and all that.
sorry this that was so long, i dont even know why i said all that. me and my mum have always been very open with each ther, stuff like sex was never hard to bring up with my mum. she never gave the impression that sex was bad or masturbation was bad or anything like that.

Heather
Member # 3

It's totally okay.

Growing up with abuse, even if it's not sexual abuse, can actually have a sexual impact on people. That may or may not be part of what's going on here, but looking at your history of what sounds like substance abuse, not being connected to some parts of your body, maybe being a little too quick -- per your own pace -- to be sexual with people, I think it might be worth exploring that your history may be playing some part here. Probably not all of it, but maybe some. have you ever gotten any counseling around how you grew up?

Th more you talk, the more I get the impression that so much of this really has to do with pacing: has to do with you (or others) moving to genital sex way too fast and too soon for you, with you needing way more time to get there. I think it's entirely possible that if you took way longer to gradually work up to that, you'd be having very different experiences than you have.

I also think at some point, it would be wise to try and go back to masturbation, to really try and take time to explore that. That also doesn't have to be/start genital, you know: touching ourselves for pleasure can be about any parts of our bodies, not just genitals. Like, maybe you start with the general stroking you seem to like of your other body parts and then eventually move to your clitoris: know what I mean?

With your boyfriend, again, I think we need to get to that talk you're going to have, and see what happens with that. How are you feeling about having that talk as it's getting closer?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

yeah, i had counselling fr over a year, and it made me realise some links from my past to how i am now, but after a while, it stopped being useful to me. and i never really 'let go' and just let it all out,because i just dont know how. so my counsellor never really truely knew what was going on in my head. i do want to try that, and i really really hope that if i do, it works. because at the moment it feels like nothing is ever going to change and im gonna be like this forever.
hmm yeah i guess i could try it,but i dont think theres any point at the moment, because it really has no effect whatsoever at the moment.
i feel nervous, and i will probably take a while to even get the courage to bring it up, which seems silly, i should be able to talk t him about these things. i always knew i had to talk to him about it, but i never did, but now i have asked you for advice and you have told me thats what i should do, if i dont, im just bringing the problem on myself by not trying to solve it. so i HAVE to talk to him, thats what i keep telling myself. but i am nervous.
you have been really helpful, i have asked so many people about this but you are the only one who has really helped me, so thankyou!

Heather
Member # 3

You're so welcome: I'm glad to help however I can. [Smile]

Maybe it's time to try again with counseling? Sometimes, too, we need to move on from one counselor to another: just like other relationships, every counselor isn't always going to be the right fit for us.

Want to talk about what you're feeling nervous about or scared of with having this talk?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

i dunno, counsellors are just there to listen, and while that did help before i need more then that now. i need solutions, and advice on what to do, like what you have given me. other types of counselling that does that costs money i think? im not sure.
im scared he wont be understanding, and im just scared of serious talks in general. im hardly ever serious with him, i put on a silly childish voice and act silly all the time. i do stupid childish things which we both find funny, but sometimes he gets annoyed because i do it ALL the time. i suppose that means i dont act myself, i act like a child. i dont know why this is. so having a serious talk where i might start crying and have to talk about how i feel and how he sometimes makes me feel is scary. also telling him how he makes me feel sometimes is scary because i dont want to start an argument. realistically, he would probably be really apologetic and feel bad if hes made me upset before, but im still nervous he will argue.

Heather
Member # 3

So, what I hear you saying is that you need a counselor who both listens and helps you with strategies. Not all counselors just listen or do their practice that way. There's a range of what counselors offer and a range of ways to do therapy, so if you make clear you're looking for someone who will listen but also help you with life strategies, you'll be more likely to find someone who is a good fit for you.

I hear you on all of your fears.

One thing I'd say about some of them is that you keep saying you want to feel close to him. Hiding your feelings, not addressing big feelings or serious issues with someone keeps you at a distance. So, it might help to know that starting to voice these things, even being upset around him and showing him those feelings is more likely to get you two closer than sex is, even sex that's totally awesome for everyone.

I think opening this conversation by voicing some of these things may also help you out. You can say that you need to start talking about this, but that you feel sacred: scared of how he'll react, scared about being emotional in front of him, scared you won't be able to talk about these things together in such a way that it doesn't become an argument.

Can I ask if you feel like he can handle this kind of discussion? In other words, setting yourself aside for a minute, do you think he has the maturity and sensitivity to hear what you have to say and talk about it without being reactive, defensive, or making it about him?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

By the by? Can I also ask, thinking more about the big picture of all of this, if you find you generally feel afraid to be very emotionally open? Not just with your boyfriend, but in general? Or scared/nervous about really big feelings?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

yeah, thats true. its just finding the time for it now. when i had counselling before i didnt have a job, just college, and they were happy for me to take an hour off each week to go. i have a job and go to a different college now, and they dont really accept any reason for time off.
i think he can handle it, because he tells me how he feels, when hes pissed off or upset about something, not necessarily to do with me, but whatever the reason he talks about it to me. the problem with that is, i dont know how to respond. when hes upset and talking to me, i just listen, i dont know what to say and i think it hurts his feelings a bit because im not comforting him with any words.
but anyway, he can talk about things. in the past i have attempted to talk to him about stuff, about things that have bothered me, and he has listened and he has stopped doing the things that i've said bother me. we have had one huge argument when i was drunk, because i had been bottling things up, and then i got drunk and it all came out in a drunken mess, and all wrong. this caused a huge row, and he didnt understand why i was upset. but then in the morning, he apologised and said that he understood what i said and why i was upset, and i said sorry and that it all came out wrong. he said he understood that and he would change, which he did. obviously im not going to talk abut serious things when im drunk anymore because that will cause arguments. and he has said before "you dont talk to me about things, and you can" so i think he wants to?

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

and yes i do, i dont talk to anyabout about my deepest thoughts and feelings, i physically cant. i had one friend who i told ALOT to, and it came close to proper feelings, but we arnt close anymore.
Heather
Member # 3

Okay: that's actually probably part of this picture, potentially a really big part. As strange as it may sound, being very emotionally shut down or closed off, especially when it's even with yourself, tends to impact sexuality and sexual response. That stuff I brought up earlier about how just having sensory nerve endings in our genitals only matters so much without our brains? Feelings are about your brain, and sexual feelings are usually big feelings. So, if we shut down a lot, stay closed off and feel afraid of big feelings and expressing them, our sexual response will often be impacted.

So, I think that this is another area where if you can really do some work and make some progress at feeling those feelings and expressing them, at not shutting down, feeling able to be more vulnerable when it's safe for you to be so, you'll see some changes around this.

I think, just FYI, it's maybe better for you if you don't get drunk at all anymore. We can talk about that more if you want, but I do think substance abuse may be an issue for you based on the things you've shared around drinking.

It sounds like you and your boyfriend may well be able to have good conversations around this, and that you may have to have a little more faith in him with this. I know it feels so scary to think about uncorking a tightly corked bottle, but here's the thing: I think if you are going to stay in this relationship, you really have to do this.

Mind, it may be that you aren't ready for this kind of relationship or doing this, so if you feel that way, that's valid, too, but that means you need to think about not being in it anymore, or being in it in a way that's not a more casual friendship, rather than a sexual or more intimate relationship.

I can't tell you which is really your best choice, but I sense you're reluctant right now to even consider the latter choice, which means the former is where you'll need to go with all of this. I think if you stay in that relationship without having these talks, being this honest, and setting the limits you need to around the right sexual pacing for you, you're just going to feel worse and worse and this relationship is going to deteriorate into something pretty awful for you both.

Also? Some of that honesty is that when someone else says something, you listen and then in your response, you try and say what you honestly feel, rather than clamming up because you're scared or don't want to say the wrong things. We can say things to people that are difficult or even painful without saying them in painful ways. Do you feel like you have an idea of how to do that? If not, I'm happy to give you some basic starting places.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

i think you're right, i know i really have to just let it all out and tell him how i really feel. i dont even like being drunk anymore, so its quite rare that i do. i think i might actually be scared of 'letting go' ? like when i get the feeling i think is unbearable, my legs shake and my body goes all tense, like as soon as he touches down there.
im not going to not be in a relationship with him, i love him and i know he loves me, i cant not be intimate with him, i love cuddling and kissing him and just lying in bed naked with him. i want to be with him.
and yes, im not very good at thinking on the spot how to say something in a nice way, but getting to the point, like if hes had a row with his mum and hes upset or angry, i dont know what to say. if its partly his fault but he cant see it, i have the reason why in my head but i dont say it, i dont want to sound like im having a go at him too.
but basically im ging to try really hard to just open up, and after i've had the cnversation with him, i'll tell you how he responds?

Heather
Member # 3

I think it's pretty clear you feel scared of letting go emotionally. But just getting to the point where you have an awareness of that is a very big deal: that gives you places to go and work on that. So many people in that space don't have that awareness. So, yay!

One way to be in talks with people like that you've mentioned is to just ask them what they need. Like, "Do you want me to just listen? Or would you also like my feedback on this?" That way, no one has to guess and the person with the tough feelings can be able to ask for what they want and need.

For sure, that conversation with him is the next step if you're going to stay in this kind of relationship (or any close relationship with him at all, really). So, yep, feel free to come on back here after you have, or if you need a little cheerleading anytime before you do it to help you feel better about having it.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

Right, so last night i said to him "I was speaking to someone about my problem with sex, and she suggested maybe I'm not mentally ready, in a way, for sex. and that might be why i dont like it" i know thats not what i said i would say, but thats just how it came out. he said "right.." and i said "and she also suggested what might work is if i just start again" and he said "what does that mean?" and i said "well, it would mean stopping having sex" and he said "what, forever?" and laughed. and i said "no, not forever". then there was silence for a bit and i said what do you think about this? and he just said "well its up to you". which wasnt really what i was expecting.
i thought maybe he would be a bit more bothered, and i dont mean like, pissed off, i mean, he didnt seem to be bothered what we do, he didnt even ask questions.
we went to bed and nothing happened, i said "it does suck because i would like to do it" because i would and he said "noo, we arnt allowed" and started to cuddle me.
just now we were in bed, and i tried to bring it up again, and he just said "i dont really know what to say" and that was it. nothing else was said, so i've come downstairs and come on here. so yeah.. i dunno, what do you think?

Heather
Member # 3

Well, it sounds like that was actually a pretty good start for these conversations to me! It sounds like he was receptive, wasn't defensive, and was trying to make room for what you needed and wanted.

If you want to talk more, you probably will need to bring up more of what you want to talk about. What would you like to talk more about with him around this?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

okay [Smile] just needed reassurance that his response wasnt a bad one!
well i guess i just want him to understand more about how i feel, not even just around sex. he knows the basics, like the surface of things. i've just never really explained much. but i guess thats up to me to just be more open, and i'd like to think that teling him what i did was a good start? [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

I don't think so. I know for you that even getting started talking was really challenging, and you did it! Sure, the first conversation around this was probably kind of short and not all that rich, but I think you taking that step was a very big deal for you 9well done!) and it sounds like he responded really well. If his responses were short, it may just be because what you said was, too.

But I think that's okay. You talked about the elephant in the room, breaking a big silence, and from here on out, talking a little bit more and a little more deeply each time is likely to get easier for both of you.

So, maybe next time, if you want to fill him in more on how you feel, you can open by saying something like, "Thanks for accepting what I said the other day and being great about it. Getting started talking is hard for me, so I want to try doing it a little bit more. Can I try talking to you more about how I feel about all this? because I want you to know because I want to fill you in and share that with you."

In a conversation about that, you can also ask if he'd like to talk about the way he feels around sexual things: having some back-and-forth sharing can make sharing things that make us feel vulnerable a lot easier.

How do you feel about how he responded? It sounded to me like you were pleasantly surprised.

[ 01-12-2011, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

i feel alot better that i said it [Smile]
yeah i will do that, i think i was a little too paranoid about how he would respond. i should have more faith in him, i know he does care about me.
thankyou so much, you have really helped! if i have any other questions or problems i will be sure to ask you! [Smile] (if thats ok as i have asked you ALOT already)

Heather
Member # 3

It's completely okay: I'm so glad to be able to be of help, and am happy to talk more whenever you need to.

And I'm really so delighted that initial conversation went so well and that you feel good about it. I think that's fantastic news. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

i didnt know if i was supposed to start a new thread but i thought seeing as its about the same thing i would just carry on here.
me and my boyfriend havent really spoke much about it since. and we didnt have sex until this week. so we went a few weeks without doing anything at all. but then i saw him earlier this week and i just really wanted to do it, i kept looking at him and i just wanted more than a cuddle, and i was thinking about having sex all day and for a few days before too. he was obviously thinking the same because when we went to bed he was being more touchy feely, how he usually does when hes in the mood. and he also kissed me properly, like with tongues, and we never ever do that unless its going to lead to something else (which i find a bit annoying but oh well) anyway, i really wanted to do it, but when he went down there, it was worse than ever. usually, i get signs of arousal, like i get wet, and i get the tickly feeling that i dont like, but this time, NOTHING. i didnt even get wet, so it was just like, literally numb. so i just thought meh, might as well just get it done and over with now. and we started having sex, and it was really horrible. felt like nothing, hurt a little cos i wasnt wet, and to me it felt empty and meaningless and just horrid. its never felt like that before. i cried after but he didnt know.
he obviously thought differently though cos the next day he mentioned it, saying something along the lines of "last night was good, all touchy and stuff"
and that night we did it again, and the exact same thing happened. it sucks so bad, because i wanted to do it, i hadnt done it in a while so i was really missing it and horny i guess, and yet it was so bad? i dont get it. i feel like im never going to work. i must be ready for sex otherwise why would i want to do it so much?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's fine to keep posting in this thread!

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling s down. As for why the sex was so bad, I have a few ideas:

It sounds to me like, while you abstained from sex for a while, you didn't really do anything to work on your situation. And just not having sex, while everything else goes on as before, isn't going to help.

One of the things that Heather suggested was that you communicate with your boyfriend more, and instead it sounds like you communicated with him less. Is there any particular reason why you didn't tell him that sex wasn't so great for you? Why you didn't talk to him about what went wrong instead of sleeping with him again?

I understand that you are feeling anxious and that you want to be able to have sex, but you are not going to achieve that by shutting yourself down even more and divorcing yourself from your body even more. Enjoying sex is about being in tune with your body, not about ignoring it.

Also, just because we WANT something doesn't mean that we are ready for it. It's perfectly possible to want something, and not be in a place yet where actually having it is a good idea.

Lastly, please do not think of yourself as broken. You're not, okay?

So why not try to get back on the road to figuring this out. You were doing really great with this a few weeks ago.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

i dont know how to work on the situation though. after we did it the second time, i said to him "it really sucks because i really want to do it, but then when we do, it doesnt work." and i said it really doesnt feel like much. and he just said "i dont know what to suggest" which is what he always says when i mention it. he did say before i said all that, that he tried to make me more relaxed before we did it, so it might feel better.
i really feel like im ready though, i love him, he loves me, i've got the contraceptive implant so theres so risk of getting pregnant, we have been together for a year and a half, when i see him i feel like i want to express how i feel about him through sexual stuff, and all this to me says im ready?
and yet my body just doesnt respond. it really really sucks. and lately to top it all off, i have been getting weird cuts on my vagina, they look like paper cuts, and sometimes they bleed. i have been to the doctors and they say its thrush, i get treated for thrush and it doesnt work. they did a swab and it all comes back normal. i hate my body and how it just malfunctions for no reason!
i really do feel like im broken though. sometimes i feel like guys have it to easy, they have sex, they orgasm, they feel good. sometimes i feel bitter towards my boyfriend because of it, it just doesnt seem fair.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whether or not we are ready for sex depends on a lot of different factors. Wanting to have sex is one. Taking responsibility and getting birth control is another. Having a partner you are sexually attracted to is a biggie, as well.

But another very, very important factor is feeling comfortable in your body, being in touch with your body, and being able to understand and assert your boundaries.

So to me, it sounds like you're well on your way to being ready for sex, but you're not quite all the way there yet.

And if not feeling at home in your body yet is the thing holding you back, then ignoring what your body is telling you is not a very sound way to go about it. What you want to do is pay more attention to yourself, respect yourself more, not less.

If you're not sure how to go about getting more in touch with yourself, then maybe talking to a counselor would be a good starting point. Is that something that you would be interested in?

Too, if you've got thrush, then it's no surprise that sex felt even worse than usually! Have you been back to the doctor's to let them know that the first course of treatment wasn't enough? Until that's cleared up, I recommend that you stay away from intercourse altogether, to give yourself time to heal up.

Lastly, it really isn't sound to make generalizations about male-bodied people like that. For everyone arousal, sexual response and orgasm are as much a brain thing as they are a body thing, so saying that one set of genitals automatically makes sex easier or more enjoyable is very far from the truth.

[ 01-30-2011, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 8994 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

i dont ignore it though. right now im talking to my mum about it, i tell her everything about it, i know what happens, i know how my body responds (or doesnt respond in this case) i know how i think, and i try and figure out the problem all the time, so i'm not ignoring it.
and i saw a counsellor for over a year, it didn't help, and that always seems to be the answer for everything. counsellors dont help me, they just listen, and then repeat what you said in a different way to make you feel like they are listening. that does not help me. i talk to my mum, she listens, which is just what a counsellor does, but it doesnt help.
i have been to my doctor so many times. i have had swabs, blood tests, the lot. all comes back normal. then they just fling creams and pills that dont work at you.
i do know that sex is as much a brain thing for men as it is for women. but men think differently, they can seperate sex from eveything else, so sex is just sex, its just for pleasure. women find it alot harder to do that, so everything else like emotions and self esteem and all that have a part which makes the act of sex so much more complicated. thats how i see it anyway.
i am so frustrated and fed up.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

What I mean when I say that you are ignoring your body is that you've told us, in the beginning of the conversation and again just now, that you frequently have sex when you don't at all want to.

I don't mean that you are ignoring the entire issue. Obviously you are thinking about it, you are discussing it with us here, you're talking to your mother and you've also brought it up with your partner. Those are awesome first steps, but as long as you keep having sex when you're not 110% into it, not a whole lot is going to change.

I'm sorry to hear that your previous counseling experience wasn't helpful for you. But it can sometimes take a while to find a counselor who is a good fit for us, and who works with us in a way that we find constructive. So, if you feel that you'd prefer a counselor who doesn't just listen but who also actively helps you in finding solutions, then that's something you can bring up during a first appointment, and see how a counselor reacts to that. It can be a process of trial and error, but when you find a counselor that you click with, it can be tremendously helpful.

With your thrush, have you always taken the treatments as prescribed, and finished the full course? Is the doctor you've been seeing a gynecologist?

And lastly, again, it's not at all useful to make generalizations like that about whole groups of people like that. What we want out of sex and how we feel about sex is very unique, and is not tied solely to which set of genitalia we happen to have. Plenty of male-bodied people feel self-conscious, plenty of female-bodied people like to have casual sex, and so on. Those generalizations don't work, and getting bitter and making assumptions like that also isn't going to help you very much.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

Heather
Member # 3

georgiexx: the counselor you saw before, were they a sex therapist? If not, did they at least have some background in sexuality and sexuality issues?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

georgiexx
Activist
Member # 51769

no she was just a counsellor, for adolescents. when i turned 18 and a half i had to stop going. for a sex related counsellor i would have to pay, and i am a student with very little money and my parents are unemployed so I cant afford one. this is as far as i know anyway, whether the nhs has any free services i dont know
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.