Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Cold Sore or Acne?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold Sore or Acne?
stifestreak
Neophyte
Member # 49960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stifestreak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About three days ago I noticed a small red dot on my upper lip and I didn't pay much attention to it because I get acne very regularly and I had been touching my face, so I decided it was just best to leave it alone and not touch it so it didn't get bigger.

I usually don't worry about these things, but all of a sudden I am very concerned. The small red dot, over these past days has gotten bigger. I'm pretty sure it's acne but I'm not sure. It certainly feels like an acne bump, and it isn't scabby or oozing like most people describe cold sores to be. It also does not burn or itch, it only feels painful when I touch it/squeeze it.

At first, when I tried squeezing it nothing came out. Today I tried again and some puss came shooting out. Right now it just looks a bit red and swollen. I checked too, and there are no other scabs or bumps on the insides of my mouth/lip.

Also, my period is coming up and I always break out around this time. I heard its very common for women to have acne around the mouth area, it's just not something that has been very common for me and my acne, so I'm just a bit concerned.

Also, for reference here are some facts:

-I don't and have never slept around/hooked up with random people

-I have a boyfriend who I have been with for over a year, we ALWAYS use a condom and we didn't have sex until we were together for 9 months. We were both virgins.

-I don't share food/drinks with people I don't know well. The only instance I can think of is at my work, where we share soy sauce for dipping our sushi into but none of us double-dip because sushi is always eaten in one bite.

-The 'cold sore' is like one big bump rather than a cluster of small bumps

-It did not burn or itch or anything, in fact, I only noticed it when I looked in a mirror

-I usually get cystic acne, that is under the skin and causes a big red bump that takes about a week to come to a head if at all

Thanks for any input guys!

[ 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: stifestreak ]

Posts: 7 | From: Royal Oak MI | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to start off by saying that we are not doctors; also, even drs can not diagnose over the internet. What you are describing sounds like cystic acne, but if you are concerned then you should your Dr; because only they can tell you for sure.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.