Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period with Nuva Ring

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period with Nuva Ring
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started the nuva ring not long ago. I left it in for 3 weeks and today was the day for me to remove it. They say to try to remove and insert them around the same time every time. I was about an hour late removing mine ( i wasn't home) I also noticed once I got home it seems like I started my period. Is this normal?? Is removing it late a bad thing? thanks

--------------------
Sometimes the only thing we can do is accept what we have no control over.

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, during the week off from your ring, that's the time you'll usually get your withdrawal bleed, so I'm not sure I understand why you're surprised.

It's okay to remove it late.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BreakingSilence     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, thanks. The reason I was surprised is because the instrutional booklet said your period should start 2-3 days once the ring is removed. I just wonder what happened? Will this be a normal period? because already it seems a little abnormally light.

--------------------

Posts: 313 | From: :) | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, once you're on a hormonal method like the ring, you don't technically have "periods" anymore. You have chemically induced withdrawal bleeds which do usually tend to be shorter and lighter than menstrual periods.

Those 2-3 days are an estimate: there will still be some variance around them for many women.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Thank you. So immediate bleeding is normal and nothing to worry over?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

I'd not be worried about it and would assume it to be your withdrawal bleed, without question, unless you may have other reasons for vaginal bleeding, like an infection or injury.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Alrighty [Smile] thanks so much for your help:))

--------------------

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

So I guess I haven't really had my period yet. After thinking I started it I've had nothing but some spotting. Its bright red ( like a period) but later turns to brown ( as if i've finished my period) What's going on? Again, is this normal? Will I get what appears to be a "real" period by tomorrow? ( since it will be that 2-3 day waiting period) Just curious. thank you:)

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

In the first few cycles of any hormonal birth control method, spotting or wonky withdrawal bleeds are very common.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

so should i consider this the "withdrawal"? and should it end in about a week like a period? you don't think this means pregnancy, do you?

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

It probably is your withdrawal bleed, but in a few more months using the ring, you'll be able to get a better idea of what that is and isn't really like for you so it's more clear.

If you have been using your ring properly, pregnancy is only a very small risk. Did you wait the right amount of time before using the ring and no other method? If you have taken the ring out during the active three weeks, was it never out for more than three hours? If so, in both cases, pregnancy is not at all likely.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

Yes, ive been using it correctly. I was taking an antibiotic. will that have anything to do with the strange bleeding interacting with the ring? im now starting to get strange pains in my lower stomach area. what is causing this?

--------------------

BreakingSilence
Activist
Member # 38098

theres really no "real blood" at all now. just brown.. could this be all the period i will ever have?

--------------------

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Destiny, wierd withdrawal bleeding in the first 3 or so months on a new method of hormonal birth control is absolutely normal. You may have lighter or shorter withdrawal bleeds, and there's no real way for us to predict when they'll start and how long they'll last. That's just how it goes when you start a new method.

Depending what you were taking the antibiotic for, the stress of illness could also e playing a part in this.

So, some brown spotting instead of a "real" withdrawal bleed is not a big deal at all.

--------------------
-joey
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 8995 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.