Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Nuva Ring & Withdrawal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuva Ring & Withdrawal
cinnamon30
Neophyte
Member # 46992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cinnamon30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I just have a few questions about birth control. I've tried the pill and the patch, and haven't been satisfied with either. I have an appointment with a gynecologist next week, and I'm going to see about starting with the nuva ring. What can you tell me about it? I know its left in for 3 weeks at a time, and is as effective as the pill or the patch.
Also, what is the probability of pregnancy with withdrawal while ovulating?

Posts: 26 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen our infopage on the ring yet? if not, why don't you start with it, and then we can talk more from there: the Vaginal Ring (Nuvaring).

I can't answer your last question because I know of no studies of withdrawal in which effectiveness rates were measured during different times of the fertility cycle. There are few studies on withdrawal, period.

However, what I can say is that that'd be the time of the cycle when withdrawal is most likely to be at its least effective in perfect use, and where if the person withdrawing failed to withdraw well before ejaculation -- which is typical -- pregnancy would be very likely.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cinnamon, it sounds to me like you've had a few pregnancy scares in the last little while. I hope you can find a method that works well for you!
I've been using the ring for a few years now, and find it very easy and low maintenance, since I only have to 'deal' with it a couple times a month (put it in and take it out) rather than daily like the pill. It certainly isn't for everyone, but works well for me.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cinnamon30
Neophyte
Member # 46992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cinnamon30     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for the feedback! And I hope the ring works out for me as well. In the past, I've had some issues with remembering to take the pill on time, and having the patch become loose. I was reading the article about the ring (thank you, Heather!) and it said that it can be taken out for a max. of three hours while keeping the user protected, but that the user will also be protected during the "off" week. How does this work? Also, is it difficult to insert? How do you know if it is positioned correctly?

I also have a question on behalf of a friend of mine (the question in my previous post about withdrawal/ovulation was hers as well). She has been experiencing light cramping for about 4 days now, but is not expecting her period until November 10th. She had unprotected sex prior to and while she was ovulating, and is now worried that she may be pregnant. She would also like to know how soon she should take a test.

Thank you again! I would just like to say that I love this website and am very appreciative of the support and great information I've received [Smile]

Posts: 26 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ring offers protection during the "off" week the same way the pill does - by preventing ovulation during the previous three weeks. If you want a more detailed description, there's a good one here that compares a regular menstrual cycle and the artificial cycle created by the pill (or the patch, or the ring): http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/21/t/000351.html

Insertion is fairly easy once you get the hang of it, and as long as it feels comfortable and doesn't slip out, then it's positioned just fine. Usually, it ends up sitting with one side sort of "hooked" behind the cervix and the other side on the pubic bone, if you can visualize that.

To answer your friend's question, she can take a pregnancy test 10-14 days after a risk, or the first day of a missed period, whichever comes first. And, she's always welcome to register here if she wants to talk about birth control options or choices with a pregnancy, whichever way that test turns out.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.