Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » sign of pregnancy??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sign of pregnancy??
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorvusWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been taking birth control for about four months now. I take it almost every day, but I do miss about three pills a month. About a week ago I had sex with my boyfriend and we used a condom. I remember taking my bc pills that day, the next day, and so on at about the same time... I checked the condom by filling it up with water to make sure it didn't break. I'm very sure it didn't. But lately I've been having some terrible cramps like I'm about to start my period, although my placebo week doesn't start until two weeks from now. Since I've started taking birth control, I've had few period pains that early before my period. On the birth control, I have very little pain before, during, and after my period, if any. When I wasn't on the birth control, I had some pain a few days before my period, and never any after. It's really worrying me that I'm having so much pain before my period, and I'm worried it could be an early sign of pregnancy. I also pretty much got over all the side effects of the birth control within about a month an a half. I haven't had any of the side effects for a while now. I don't think it could really be a side effect of the pills or a sign that my period is coming. Should I be worried??

--------------------
ಠ_ಠ O RLY?
ಠ_ರೃ I SAY!

Posts: 33 | From: LOLWUT | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say you're missing pills: do you mean you're taking them a little late, or that you're missing them entirely on a given day?

As well, are you both up to date with your sexual health exams and STI tests? Asking about this per the cramps.

(Mind, cramping is not a typical symptom of pregnancy, and really, there are few easily recognizable symptoms, save missing a period. When we're concerned we may be pregnant, the only sound response to get an accurate answer is to take a pregnancy test.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorvusWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By missing pills, I mean that I don't take them that day. Usually this is on the weekends when I go to my dads, and i miss saturday's and sunday's pill. I might be an hour or two late once in a while too. And as far as STIs, my boyfriend and I were both virgins when we first had sex, and I didn't have anything that I got from my mom, and he's very sure he couldn't give me anything... I had some exams done a few months ago when I got on birth control. I got a complete pap smear and a pregnancy test. The results from the pap smear were good...they didn't find anything.

--------------------
ಠ_ಠ O RLY?
ಠ_ರೃ I SAY!

Posts: 33 | From: LOLWUT | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CorvousWolf: It really sounds like it's time you start considering some methods that don't require you take them every day. If you're missing three or more pills each month, your birth control will not likely be effective. Typically if you miss three you then stop the pack, take a placebo week and start all over, using backup for the placebo and the 1st week of the next pack. Three missed pills is considered ineffective per manufacturer instructions.

As well, missed and late pills can cause changes in your cycle,and also in how your body reacts monthly. Because you have missed pills, you'll want to take a test either 10-14 days from the last risk or if your period is late.

[ 10-07-2010, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

so are you saying i could really be at risk for being pregnant?? Even though we used a condom??
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

I'm sorry I think I forgot to mention that he pulled out before he ejaculated...He's sure he pulled out way before he ejaculated too...I'm sorry I'm just freaking out about this so much...everything I find on the internet that relates to cramps without a period or way before a period is related to pregnancy....but I thought that signs of pregnancy don't typically show up until several weeks after it really happens?? I thought a missed period was the first sign typically?? The cramps I'm having are also sometimes just on the side...but also in the center of my lower abdomen, it's just sort of just half and half on that.... but what should I do?? should I stop taking the pills (I have about a week's worth left before my placebo week) and wait until I have a period?? Or should I keep taking the pack until the placebo week like usual and wait for my period then??
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Sorry to reply again but i've been looking up info on cysts. When I cramp, it can be focused on the sides...but I remember most of the time when I did cramp on the sides of my abdomen, it was my left side. The pain comes when I'm trying to lift something, or I'm just doing some physical activity. Although I do have pain while I'm sitting down, during the past few days I've been having cramps and pain while I'm doing something physical. It's been getting worse over the past few days. Is there a chance it could be a cyst too?? I've heard thats an extremely common problem...

--------------------
ಠ_ಠ O RLY?
ಠ_ರೃ I SAY!

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you been using condoms for ALL genital contact? As Stephanie has said, the pill can really only work if it is taken as directed, and missing three pills is NOT okay. So, at this point, you cannot rely on the pill to offer you protection. But if you also used condoms for all genital contact, and did not have any condom failures, then you do not need to worry about pregnancy.

If you're still worried, you can take a pregnancy test at 10-14 days after the risk, or on the first day of a missed period. Whichever comes first.

And as far as the pill is concerned, you'll either want to follow Stephanie's instructions for starting over, or you'll want to talk to your doctor about starting you on something like the Patch or the Ring, which you do not need to remember every day.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.