Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » thought provoking blog entry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: thought provoking blog entry
Gingerbread
Activist
Member # 45944

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gingerbread     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Scarleteen =]
I read this blog entry tonight: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2008/05/14/do_drugs_and_booze_make_you_better_in_bed

And what a fantastic entry it was, it really got me thinking.

I feel that a little disclaimer is necessary in case this question may lead to any speculation, and I understand if my question cannot be answered simply because these drugs are illegal. But I assure you I do not condone drug use (straight edge and proud of it). It got me a little curious though. Probably because it was about three in the morning and well, that is a pretty intellectually stimulating hour for me. I know that drugs and alcohol make you much much more likely to forget to take a birth control pill on time or use a condom. But it also got me to thinking about some folklore about drugs like marijuana affecting the effectiveness of hormonal birth control methods. I suppose chemically it would make sense if this were true, since drugs mess with your body. But do they? And if they do, how? And if they don't... how? So long story short: Do drugs like marijuana actually compromise hormonal birth control effectiveness aside from impaired judgment? I did a google search and found a couple sites that addressed this, but Scarleteen is what I trust most to give me a straightforward and well informed answer without questioning my reasons for asking.

Posts: 44 | From: United States | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure quite what you mean by "drugs like marijuana" because recreational drugs all tend to differ quite a lot, and I can't really think of many like marijuana.

But based on the information I have, marijuana does not impact the effectiveness of hormonal contraceptives. Many drugs, recreational and otherwise, don't impact methods of birth control. For a list of those which are known to potentially (but still may not) do that, see here: http://www.scarleteen.com/birth_control_bingo_the_combination_pill

However, if it's being smoked, particularly regularly, then the same risks of smoking anything can apply, including the increased health risks with combined hormonal contraceptives that are an issue with smoking.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gingerbread
Activist
Member # 45944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gingerbread     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, I meant recreational drugs, but I wasn't sure how to phrase it. Thank you for your answer! I just thought that since recreational drugs mess with your body so much that it might compromise hormonal birth control as well. But it makes sense that of course all the risks of smoking apply and are heightened if they're done regularly. Curiosity sufficiently quenched =]
Posts: 44 | From: United States | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, ALL kinds of things "mess with" our bodies. In other words, what we eat (including foods we eat that have chemicals in them) and drink does or can, our sleep, all parts of our environment, the works. And recreational drugs, like all other kinds of drugs, do, too.

So, with any given medication -- be that birth control or anything else -- some things we do or ingest will potentially alter or interfere, while others will not, and what does and doesn't tends to be pretty specific, chemically, rather than just being about taking, eating or doing any one given thing of a gazillion things that can or does alter our body chemistry. Make sense?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67055 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.