Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Chances of getting pregnant if...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chances of getting pregnant if...
CorvusWolf
Neophyte
Member # 47380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CorvusWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I have had sex a few times...and after some hours and hours of research on the internet and fearing pregnancy I'm a little paranoid about becoming pregnant even if we're using condoms. I'm not on birth control and i don't keep track of my periods, which as far as I know are known to be a little irregular. Each time we have sex my boyfriend will pull out and ejaculate inside the condom after he pulls out all the way. I didn't worry too much about those times...but the last time is what is really getting to me. About two weeks ago, we had sex with one of the thin, lubricated trojan condoms. I had had a lot of the clear, slippery cervical mucus during that time. The day we had sex was probably my wettest day, so I'm really afraid that I was really fertile during that time. He also ejaculated inside the condom while he was pulling out...so that technique sort of backfired... but I'm very worried about my chances of getting pregnant. I know the condom doesn't stop 100% of sperm...some leak out through pores... I'm looking for signs of pregnancy too. I haven't had my period yet, and I'm pretty sure I haven't had any of my usual pre-menstrual symptoms (little cramping, lower back ache, and some dull ongoing pain in my lower abdomen). So I don't know if I've technically missed a period yet, or if it's too early for a pregnancy test. I also have been a little constipated...and I've been queasy here and there, but I've been known to have stomach problems when I'm anxious or upset. I have some unfamiliar cramping where I usually have premenstrual cramps...I also have some pain in the center of my lower abdomen (near where I think my uterus is located). I have little lower back pain but it comes and goes quickly. Is there a significant chance of pregnancy in my situation? And when can I take a pregnancy test without being too early? Is two weeks long enough to have an accurate result from a pregnancy test?

[ 06-09-2010, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: CorvusWolf ]

--------------------
ಠ_ಠ O RLY?
ಠ_ರೃ I SAY!

Posts: 33 | From: LOLWUT | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah woah woah...sperm can't leak out through pores in condoms. That's one of those nasty myths perpetuated by folks who are interested in keeping people continually afraid. Risks with condoms come when they aren't used properly or they fail or they aren't used for all contact, etc.

Birth Control Bingo: Condoms
Condom Basics: A User's Manual

Looking for pregnancy symptoms also isn't such a great idea. Those things are really inconsistent across women and pregnancies. Plus, you wouldn't be noticing much of anything very early anyway.
Chicken Soup for the Pregnancy Symptom Freakout's Soul

You can take a pregnancy test once it's been at least 10-14 days from a risk.
Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

It sounds like you have been using condoms paired with withdrawal, but in this particular instance you're relying on the condom. On their own and used properly, condoms are an excellent method of pregnancy and STI prevention. If the condom did not fail (which you would have noticed), then you have a very very very low risk here.
The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

We generally caution users about pairing withdrawal with condoms. If you are going to do that, you'll want to a) make sure you are using your condoms properly (for all contact, with extra lube, unexpired, properly stored, put on correctly, hold the base while withdrawing, etc.) and b) that your partner withdraws far in advance of ejaculation. If a partner is trying to withdraw quickly in the "heat of the moment", it can be easy to forget to hold the base and have the condom slip off, which you obviously don't want happening.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.