Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Need to take a pregnancy test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Need to take a pregnancy test?
12redtulips
Neophyte
Member # 44219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 12redtulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I'm currently on a tri-cyclin pill and have been for about 9 months.
I took a pill late during my first week of the pack (it was one of the grey pills). This was because I had lost my keys and was unable to get to my pills until about 10 hours after I was supposed to take it.
I did what the instructions on the pack said: take the pill as soon as you remember (which was about 10-12 hours later than usual).
I only had sex three times on this pack: once before I missed the pill, and twice afterwards (but I did not miss any other pills in the pack). All times a condom was used and it didn't break or leak or anything.
My pack says that I don't need to use a backup method if I only miss one pill, so that sounds like taking one pill late does not significantly impact the effectiveness? I used backup nonetheless, but now my withdrawal is three days late.
It sounds pretty unlikely that I'm pregnant, but from the package instructions, I don't know why my withdrawal would be so late otherwise
Thanks for your help [Smile]

Posts: 28 | From: US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pill actually isn't considered late until it's been more than 12 hours since your pill time. So if you took the pill ten hours after your pill time, that's totally fine.

Plus, if you've been backing up with condoms and you haven't had any problems there, you really don't need to be worried about a pregnancy risk.

If you're worried regardless, you can always go ahead and take a pregnancy test for your peace of mind, though.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
12redtulips
Neophyte
Member # 44219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 12redtulips     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I do not need to be concerned if my withdrawal bleed never shows up?
Posts: 28 | From: US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you've been using both the pill and the condom, with no failures, your protection should be at over 99%. If our bleed doesn't show at all and you're worried, you can still go ahead and take a test. But it doesn't sound like you need to be concerned about a risk.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.