Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » risk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: risk
al475
Activist
Member # 46259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for al475         Edit/Delete Post 
I was planning on havin sex this friday (14th)i'm using protection and my period starts next monday(17th). So i was wondering is it safe to have sex before your period?

--------------------
alex

Posts: 45 | From: california | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anytime you have intercourse there is a potential risk of pregnancy. Is that what you're asking?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al475
Activist
Member # 46259

yes

--------------------
alex

Posts: 45 | From: california | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of protection are you planning to use? The type of protection you're using will have the biggest impact on your pregnancy risk. If you're hoping to avoid pregnancy, the best bet is to use a reliable method of birth control. Here's an article that can help inform you about various methods and what might work for you.

There's no 100% safe time of the month to have unprotected sex without the risk of pregnancy. It can be hard to calculate exactly when you're ovulating, which means that it can be hard to know exactly when your body is the most fertile. This article has lots more information about fertility throughout the cycle and why it can be a bit tricky to try to rely on your menstrual cycle without daily charting if you're hoping to avoid pregnancy.

Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
al475
Activist
Member # 46259

i was planning on using a condom

--------------------
alex

CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your best bet for reducing your risk of pregnancy is to make sure that you're using the condom correctly with your partner. That's not a 100% guarantee that you can't get pregnant, but it's a highly effective method of birth control (and has the bonus of also providing protection against many sexually transmitted infections). Here's more info on using condoms correctly.
Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.