Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Antiobics and Birth Control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antiobics and Birth Control
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I was given cephalexin today and my last hormone alesse pill is on saturday, do I start a new pack immediatly or am I safe? The last time I had unprotected intercourse was the 16th and the 17th of March, other than that condoms have been used. I like to get my period monthly just to make sure I'm actually getting them, so I know i'm NOT pregnant and I'm currently regulating a possible endometriosis problem. It eases my mind to know that I get it and then the following week I start my new pack, so if possible I would NOT like to start a new pack immediatly because of this antibiotic. Am I at risk of getting pregnant though from the 16th and 17th when I did not use a condom now that I'll be taking cephalexin?

If I started the cephalexin it would be tomorrow, and I'm supposed to take it for a total of 7 days...so that would mean I end this alesse pack on April 3rd and I have to take the cephalexin from tomorrow till next week Wednesday the 7th AND THEN I woudlnt' start my new pack of pills until Sunday 11th.

Is it safe for me to take the cephalexin and continue my alesse as regular?

Also, is it possible to get rid of a UTI by just drinking a ton of water? As abrupt as it came about this morning, and i was literally going to the bathroom every 5 seconds, after I went to the doctor and they made me chug water for a urine culture, I feel better. I have to go less and there seems to be less burning. Is it going away??

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The general rule with antibiotics and birth control is to use a backup method for the entire time you're taking the antibiotics and then for another 7 days after. There's no need to skip your placebo week.

As far as getting rid of a UTI goes, drinking water can help reduce symptoms, but you do want to treat it with antibiotics. Plenty of water helps flush bacteria out of your urinary tract, but it won't get rid of all of them.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargirl85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I do use condoms, but let's say I didn't and I had sex frequently.. even if I were to use condoms during the time I was taking antibiotics, am I still at risk? Since semen stays in the body for a number of days..?

Just curious about that haha because I know alot of people who don't and then obviously for antibiotics it's best to use condoms but does that really protect you if the whole time before the antibiotics you haven't been using condoms?

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you use condoms, semen doesn't get into the vagina at all because it is inside the condom.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Yes but if you hadn't before, then sperm has a week (i think?)to continue living inside of you. So even if you took antibiotics and used condoms AFTER the fact, woudln't there still be a chance it would decrease your birth control enough to not be able to fight off the sperm that is already still there..?
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be a possibility, but not a strong one because the pill would have been working before the antibiotics were taken, including thickening cervical mucus so that sperm couldn't get to the cervix (that's where they go and hang out) in the first place.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargirl85
Activist
Member # 26547

Oh Okay. I'm supposed to get my period next Wednesday and I started my antibiotics last night. Is it safe to say that getting pregnant within that time would be hard to do even if the antibiotics lessening the effectiveness of the birth control? I think I had unprotected sex on the 23rd but that's the ONLY time, and we used the pull out method. Along with that I have had PERFECT use for birth control this month. I should be getting my period on Wednesday next week, maybe Tuesday night. So would it be extremely unlikely that within that time, a egg could go through the fallopian tubes AND be fertilized in time before the process of a withdrawal bleed happens?

I don't know how much antibiotics lessen but I just want to make sure there isn't a risk for me to be taking them, since I know that the last week of pills is obviously important and it's going to be compromised by the antibiotics.

Heather
Member # 3

Please understand that the jury is still out when it comes to OCPs and some antibiotics. They *may* interfere with OCPs, and they *may* decrease effectiveness. But they also may not.

All the same, you're well outside the window of any possible risk from sex on the 23rd.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.