Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » IUD question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IUD question
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
Please could you comment on how common is 'cervical shock' when IUDs are inserted in women who have never been pregnant before?

I know this can be a life-threatening complication at worst and I've heard that at least 1/5 nulligravid women experience some shock with insertion, although not usually so serious. Is the rate only this high where I live?

(I've read the IUD article, only one of the links mentions it- http://www.managingcontraception.com/qa/questions.php?questionid=1334)

Thanks!

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't actually heard that term before, eryn.

But I work with a provider a couple times a month who puts a lot of IUDs in younger women. Many of them have been pregnant (since this is at an abortion clinic), but I still expect her to know about this, so let me drop her a line.

I'll post when I hear back.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, the provider hasn't heard that term before, either.

Can you perhaps toss me some other medical references to it?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Sure.

So, Emedicine describes Cervical shock as "Vasovagal syncope produced by stimulation of the cervical canal during dilatation may occur. Rapid recovery usually follows." But, I found this definition under "Abortion complications"-
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/795001-overview

I couldn't really find other official references except-
http://www.plymouthpct.nhs.uk/CorporateInformation/policiesprocedures/Documents/Clinical%20Guidance/Cervical%20Shock%20Assoc%20Insertion%20IUCD%20v2.1.pdf

I know that WHO and NICE guidelines don't mention it at all. The person who told me about it is one of my teachers who inserts IUDs often in family planning clinics. She thinks it is more common than stated in literature. Use of lubrication jelly or cervical nerve blocks prior to insertion, I think, reduce the incidence of shock.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Okay, here's what I have back for you:

"Vasovagal reactions upon insertion of IUDs, even in nulliparous women, are very rare. The more skilled the provider, the less frequently it happens.

The number of 1/5th of nulliparous woman quoted in the first email is grossly inflated by my experience. I cant remember the last time this happened to me and I put in hundreds a year.

To call this a life threatening complication is also grossly inflated. And to use the term cervical shock does it a disservice as well.

Shock has a very definite meaning in medicine, and a vasovagal reaction is not equivalent.
IUDs are very safe in nulliparous women. The insertion is virtually always without incident."

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm thinking maybe our providers are still gaining adequate insertion experience due to low uptake numbers of IUD and Mirenas?

--------------------

Audre Lorde

Heather
Member # 3

How many years have they been doing them for?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Well, they have been doing copper IUDs for many years, and Mirena I think for 5-10 years now.

(I feel a little bad about starting this topic now as the person who described this is a skilled experienced provider who teaches other providers.)

--------------------

Audre Lorde

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.