Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Should I be worried about him?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I be worried about him?
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachelh27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again Scarleteen,

I just got home from my first gyno visit (fun times, let me just say). She told me that I have a bacterial infection, which she also said is very common. She prescribed me a gel to use for the next five days and told me not to have sex or drink alcohol until I was done using the gel. Well, I thought of a question after I had already left the office-- is this something that my boyfriend should be concerned about? I have been on the bcp since last June, and we usually do not use a condom. Neither of us are concerned with STIs or STDs since we have been in a monogamous relationship for over five years.

So I really just want to know if he needs to be concerned. Thank you!

Posts: 34 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BV is generally thought of as something that develops, more than something that is contracted/transmitted, and it may or may not have anything to do with your sexual life. However, the jury is still out a bit when it comes to transmission.

So, there's really nothing for him to do, however, just FYI, condom use has been shown to reduce incidence of BV, most likely because semen in the vagina makes it more alkaline and can upset its balance.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachelh27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for answering so quickly, Heather! He called just after I read your answer, so I was able to give him an answer [Smile]
Posts: 34 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice timing! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Ok, another question. (I am so sorry to bump my post, but I didn't think it was worth starting a whole new topic over!)

I noticed a bit of brownish discharge this afternoon after my pap smear this morning. Is this normal?

Heather
Member # 3

It's not atypical to have some spotting with a pap, no.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Again, I'm really sorry to bump this. I've searched and searched the site to try to avoid posting, but now I am worried.

I was still spotting up until yesterday, four days after the pap, and it was very very light. I called the doctor's office and talked to one of the nurses about it, and she freaked me out-- she kept mentioning pregnancy! Like I said, I've been on the bcp since last June, so I wasn't really concerned until she said something. My boyfriend and I had sex twice since my last period, the first time being almost three weeks ago and the second being last Friday night (3/5).
I was so freaked that I took a pregnancy test, which came back negative, but I'm still worried about the sex we had last week... we didn't use a condom, and he didn't ejaculate inside of me, I KNOW my chances are so small. I haven't taken anything this month that would interfere with the effectiveness of the bcp, either.
But this whole "implantation bleeding" concept is troublesome... I know that it is rare, but the spotting that I'm experiencing sounds a lot like what I've been reading. It wouldn't last for four days, though, right? And not so soon after a risk (2.5 days-6 days)?

I'm sorry to be spammin' your boards, here. But I'm afraid that the doctor's office will just freak me out more in this situation, and I trust you guys!

Edit: Forgot to add that I am supposed to be getting my period on Tuesday. I'm almost done with the third week of pills. Also, I am still experiencing some spotting this morning.

[ 03-12-2010, 07:57 AM: Message edited by: rachelh27 ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.