Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Will I still be protected?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will I still be protected?
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahmiller1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm supposed to start a new pack of Yasmin birth control pills tomorrow but I haven't gone for my annual check up with my gynecologist so they have to confirm my prescription with my doctor. I was just wondering if I don't get my pack tomorrow and miss the first pill but take it when I do get the pack which might be the next day, will I still be protected against pregnancy?
Posts: 48 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should take *two* pills the first day you get them (ie what was supposed to be the second day of the pack), and use a back up method for seven days.

The first pill really is the most important one to take on time.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sarahmiller1989     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, thank you!

Also, I think I will be switching to a new brand of pills. But I think I might be switching in the middle of my current pack. Should I start this current pack and then when I do switch to another brand just start taking the new one where I left off on the last one? (for example, I ended my current pack on day 3, should I start the new pack on day 4?) Or should I just not start this new pack at all and wait for the new brand? Sorry if this is unclear.

Posts: 48 | From: New York | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Also, do you know any brands of pills that are good for clearing acne? I'm currently on Yasmin and it's working but it's $70 a month and that's just too much.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of acne, that all depends on the type of acne you have and if a pill is even the answer.

Both this question and the one about switching from one pill to another mid-pack or not are absolutely things to discuss with the healthcare provider you see for these prescriptions. Answering your questions like this is both part of their job, and part of your relationship with providers.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahmiller1989
Activist
Member # 44781

Ohhh, okay.
My doctor is putting me on Ortho Tri-Cyclen. Have you heard anything about it? Is it very effective in preventing pregnancy when taken properly? Have you heard anything bad about it?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALL brands of combined oral contraceptives are equally effective: no one brand is more effective than others, and for the most part, how effective a pill is is just about how properly a person uses it.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen is one of the oldest brands around.

Here's more information on combined oral contraceptives, which include that pill: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill).

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.