Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period length

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period length
GhostyGhostyy
Neophyte
Member # 45259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GhostyGhostyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how long does an average period last when on the pill? Because I just got mine, and it seems like it might only last 1-3 days....is that normal?

sorry for all the posts! it just seems like this one is really short. I've only been on the pill for three-four months, so maybe im jus not used to it.

Posts: 39 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really varies from person to person. Some women on the pill will find only one swipe of red discharge in a whole placebo week, some have light flow for a few days, some have withdrawal bleeds that are pretty much like the periods they had when not on the pill.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GhostyGhostyy
Neophyte
Member # 45259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GhostyGhostyy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So if that's true, then how could some women tell that it IS actually their period, and not early-pregnancy bleeding or spotting beccause of something else?
Posts: 39 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tel you guys this a lot, but I really need all of you to understand that what is MOST common with pregnancy is a LACK of bleeding. Bleeding with pregnancy is more rare, and bleeding that happens when a period or withdrawal bleed is expected is usually exactly that.

But for anyone who feels that bleeding is not enough for them to know they're not pregnant, they certainly can keep pregnancy tests around and take one when in doubt. In terms of unexplained bleeding that may be due to infections, women manage that by simply staying current with their sexual healthcare, including yearly (or more often, depending) STI tests.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GhostyGhostyy
Neophyte
Member # 45259

Okay thank you, I didn't know that early-pregnancy bleeding was rare. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.