Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Missed pills - what next?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed pills - what next?
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys. So, I came home for the weekend from college, assuming I forgot to pack something and hoping it wasn't important. Well, lucky me, I forgot my pills. I'm currently on Velivet. I left Friday, so the last pill I took was on Thursday night. I'll be back Monday night. I just finished week two of my pills.

When I get back, what do I do? I assume I start a new pack. Do I start as soon as possible, or wait and let my withdrawal bleed have its seven days (because it's starting now)? Also, at this point in the pack, will insurance be a problem? I know that you can't get another pack until a certain amount of time has passed since you got the last one.

Thanks.

Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you get back, you'll go ahead and take a placebo week, then start again on Thursday with a new pack. (And don't throw away the old one: if you ever miss just one or two pills, it can come in handy for makeup pills.) You'll want to use a backup method of BC from now until you've been on the new pills a week.

I can't speak for your insurance coverage of the new pack, because plans differ. You'll have to ask your pharmacist what your plans cover.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeyLife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. I asked my sister, and she found information online that said I should start a new pack as soon as possible without the placebo week. I just don't want to screw up my cycle. Is this another theory/possibly on what to do, or it is wrong?
Posts: 87 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What pill are you using?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67973 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

I'm using Velivet and I was just about to start week 3.
Heather
Member # 3

I'm having a hard time finding a version on the patient information packet that comes with your pills to get specific instructions for that one.

Do you have a copy or did you throw it out?

If you tossed it (and really, always keep a copy), then you can call into your pharmacist to get the specific directions for this particular pill.

[ 02-15-2010, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

Nix that, found one. Here's the info for missed pill for Velivet:

quote:
f a patient misses one active tablet in Weeks 1, 2, or 3, she should take the missed tablet as soon as she remembers. If the patient misses 2 consecutive active tablets in Week 1 or Week 2, the patient should take 2 tablets the day she remembers and 2 tablets the next day; thereafter, the patient should resume taking 1 tablet daily until she finishes the cycle pack. The patient should be instructed to use a back-up method of birth control if she has intercourse in the 7 days after missing pills. If the patient misses 2 consecutive pink (active) tablets in the third week or misses 3 or more active tablets in a row at any time during the cycle, the patient should keep taking 1 active tablet daily until the next Sunday. On Sunday the patient should throw out the rest of that cycle pack and start a new cycle pack that same day. The patient should be instructed to use a back-up method of birth control if she has intercourse in the 7 days after missing pills.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

But, since you'll basically be taking a placebo period as you can't take those 1 pill each day after a miss, I'd advise figuring you started your placebo week Thursday, then start your next new pack this Thursday, and again, use a backup from now until the end of that first week of the next pack's pills.

In other words, I'd stick with my original suggestion, but if you want a second opinion, ring your pharmacist.

And here's that insert information for you if you want to bookmark it for future reference: http://www.drugs.com/pro/velivet.html

[ 02-15-2010, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

HeyLife
Activist
Member # 43709

Okay, thanks! So basically it's just as if I'd finished the third week and gotten to my placebo week, except I'm doing it a week early. That sounds good to me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.