Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Am i totally wrong here?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am i totally wrong here?
SailorTsukino
Activist
Member # 39072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SailorTsukino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boyfriend and i have been seeing each other for almost 6 months but i'm having a problem and its like a clash between or two personalities
he has it in his head that he can only see me a certain number of days a week....and he wants to try to stick rigidly to that number
but i personally think this is really weird, i mean i've never really been in a very serious relationship before and he had a fiancee of a number of years a year or so back
he says that its a "too much of a good thing" kinda thing to see me more often than that, but i really miss him when i'm not seeing him
do you think him needing space is a reflection on him losing interest in me or is he just trying to keep us together?
and am i mad to miss him when we've only been apart for a day or two? like is that being dependant or obsessive?

Posts: 54 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither of you are weird. You're just different right now.

he wants to make sure he has time for himself, time without you around. Nothing wrong with that, nor does that mean he's disinterested. Many people want time for themselves.

You want more time with him than he wants to spend together. You like him: there's nothing wrong with you wanting more time.

You're both okay, just sounds like you need to find a compromise that works for both of you.

Now, if you worry this is because he's losing interest, that certainly is something you can also check in with him about it, asking how he's feeling about the relationship. But Id not just assume that because someone wants some time for themselves as well as time with a partner.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.