Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Will I be ok?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will I be ok?
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiffy09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take yaz each night around 11. With the time change on the east coast I was messed up and taking it around 12 mid-cycle. Is a 2 hour time window give or take still perfect use? I had a stomach upset one day but that was before my pill can that have affected it?

I was having relationship troubles and had intercourse 3 times this month, of which we used a backup and he pulled out w the condom 2 times.

I now have a new bf and am worried if I could have done anything in the past that coyld put me at great risk? My period is in 3 days and I'm just worried. The only other thing I can think of is tha I did get sperm on my hands and went into the shower but I assume hot water could have killed the sperm?

Please help.

Posts: 60 | From: school | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiffy09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I left off one thing. I did take the first pill in the pack from a spare pill I had from anohter pack.... Does this matter? From what I understand all of the yaz pills are the same.
Posts: 60 | From: school | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Any advice?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it sounds like you've taken your pills correctly (and taking one a few hours early or late is no big deal) you really haven't had a viable pregnancy risk.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Thank you. It wasn't just one pill I took them at different times within the same window. What about the stomach illness and taking a pill from another pack? Or the fact I may had sperm on my hands and washed it in the shower? Sorry I'm scared.
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you throw up a pill right after taking it, or within 2 or so hours of taking it, you are fine. A little stomach upset before you even take the pill won't affect it at all.

Taking the one pill from a different pack was fine, you are right, all of the active pills have the same amount of hormones in them.

And yep, the hot water will kill the sperm. You'd really have to have a nice handful of fresh semen smeared on your vulva to have a pregnancy risk there. Washing you hands in cold water would kill them as well. Sperm need a very precise environment to stay alive, as they are pretty delicate.

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Thank you so much, I appreciate it. What about the time I take the pill? I took it a half hour give or take around 11 and then around 12, and one night at 1. Is this considered perfect use?
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

anyone?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got about a three hour window either way in which to take your pill; the times you listed are just fine, and are not going to change the effectiveness. So yes, you can count yourself as a perfect user. Typical use is missing a pill or two occasionally (which is taking it more than 12 hours late), taking medications which may interfere with the pill, etc.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Thank you for all the help tonight. I can finally sleep!
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Thank you for all the help tonight. I can finally sleep!
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Last question please, what if before inmtercourse my boyfriend touched himself and then later touched me? Does that carry a great risk?

Since I coupled my pill with condom use should I stop worrying?

Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Any advice greatly appreciate
Tiffy09
Activist
Member # 36746

Perhaps I should have used a spermicide with the condom? what is the spermicides use, for when it breaks?
Love-Life
Activist
Member # 37952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Love-Life     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because you are on the pill and it sounds like you've been taking it perfectly, there is really no significant chance of you getting pregnant. However no method of birth control is 100% besides absitence, so there will always be a small chance.

I'm going to link you to a couple of articles so you can look and see what your risks of pregnancy and STI's are.

What's the Risk? Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessments
STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes

Also, here's the article on spermicide so you can decide if it's a good choice for you.
Spermicides

Edit: Sorry, I missed that this was in Ask Scarleteen. Gotta love noticing after I reply.

[ 11-18-2009, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Love-Life ]

--------------------
There is an upside to everything, sometimes you just have to turn it upside down to find it.

:-) Vikki (-:

Posts: 153 | From: British Columbia | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.