Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Really worried...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Really worried...
anonymous90
Activist
Member # 44681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'v just started going on the pill for the first time ever. Im on the mini-pill Cerazette and started my first pack on Monday. I had unprotected sex on Wednesday (so after 3 pills) and my boyfriend ejaculated inside me. I was terrified I could be pregnant because I think i should have given the pill longer to work and waited longer before having completely unprotected sex. So I took the morning after pill this morning (about 28 hours after the unprotected sex. I am so scared. However, when we had unprotected sex, my period was just )coming to an end (very light/hardly anything) so does this mean I am less likely to be pregnant? I also understand that Cerazette works mainly by preventing egg release, so does this mean that when I ovulate (that should be in about 10-20 days shouldnt it?) then instead of becoming pregnant, no egg will be released because by that time I will have been on the mini pill for longer?
Please help - i'm so worried.

Posts: 47 | From: Manchester | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous90
Activist
Member # 44681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anonymous90     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am also experiencing slight abdominal pain. I dont know if this is maybe just a side effect of the Cerazette or the morning after pill though?
How long will it be before I can take a pregnancy test and be sure of things?

Posts: 47 | From: Manchester | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so first of all you'll want to be sure to continue backing up with a second method for the rest of this pack. We always recommend waiting at least a full cycle on the pill before you rely on it to fully protect you. Since you took a MAP though, any risk you had would have been significantly reduced.

Mini-pills (or POPs) like yours do not typically work by preventing ovulation. Their main mode of operation is by thickening cervical mucus. It can sometimes prevent ovulation, but it does not always do so. (Combination pills work in 3 ways, so they tend to be slightly more effective.) With POPs, it is super crucial that you take them on time every time and that anytime you have something that might interfere, you backup with another method. You may want to check out our article about Progesterone-Only Oral Contraceptives (Minipills) to learn more about your pill.

The abdominal pain may be related to the MAP. You can take a pregnancy test once it's been at least 12-14 days since any risk. Really though, any risk that existed would have been seriously reduced by the MAP.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anonymous90
Activist
Member # 44681

Ok thanks. So will I probably be ok, even though I took the MAP after 24 hours? If I get my next period then am I definitely not pregnant?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The MAP reduces your risk of pregnancy, it doesn't entirely eliminate it, but since you took the pill well within the time frame when it works best you can consider your risk significantly lower than it would have been otherwise.

It's always a good idea to take a pregnancy test after taking emergency contraception (the MAP), so you can do that two weeks after your risk. If you get a normal period, you can take that as an indication that you are not pregnant, but since the minipill tends to cause some cycle wonkiness, you might find it easier just to take a test to know for sure.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.