Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Canadian birth control costs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canadian birth control costs
GoodSnack69
Neophyte
Member # 42023

Icon 4 posted      Profile for GoodSnack69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i booked an appointment at my university's doctor's office for a birth control consultation. What i'd like to know is the cost of birth control in Ontario. It seems like there's lots of info on costs in the US but i'd like to know the costs in CANADA in ONTARIO, with and or without insurance as well as if it is covered by the university (would the doctor know if it's covered by the university?).

Many Thanks [Smile]

Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoodSnack69
Neophyte
Member # 42023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GoodSnack69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
also, i found out that my university does NOT cover birth control, so what would the pricing be and would my doctor know? lastly, is there a diffeence between lower costing birth control pills and higher costing birth control pills?
Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which ever doctor or pharmacist will be actually giving you the medication can tell you the price.

Definitely ask the pharmacist for a prescription for the generic version. These versions typically cost a lot less (sometimes less than half the cost of the name brands), and have the exact same active ingredients as the name brand versions. The only differences will be in the packaging and the price you pay.

If it's looking like that cost will be too much, you can try to go to a clinic such as a planned parenthood and get lower cost birth control.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalex
Activist
Member # 43486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Kalex ]

Posts: 52 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.