Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: time
amychaos
Activist
Member # 37929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amychaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
does it matter what time I start taking my pills again after my pill free week?
I never thought about it before cause i usually take it roughly the same time each month (usually mornings) but i just moved the time to later in the evening with me starting college and needing to be ready quickly on a morning and not always getting up at the same time so i dont miss any pills.
my gp never mentioned anything wrong with changing times before so i kinda guessed it would be okay.

Posts: 116 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to switch times, the first day of a new cycle is actually one of the worst times to do it, unless you're making only a minor adjustment.

In other words, you never want to miss that first pill, so if you're changing times to a point where it'd almost be like you were starting a day late, that's not good.

Your better bet if you want to switch pills for a new pack is to err on the side of taking that first pill a day EARLY. In other words, if you normally take your pill at 10 in the morning, and want to shift it to ten at night, then you'd start that new pack at 10 at night the night BEFORE you'd normally start the pack.

If, however, you're just switching a time in the same time of day -- you usually took it at 8 PM, you're moving to 10 PM, that's no big deal and fine to do anytime.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amychaos
Activist
Member # 37929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amychaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i've changed it a lot in the past and i never thought about it before and i've never had any problems apart from periods coming a few hours later than usual or a few hours before.
i have to go see my gp in a few weeks anyway for a new pack of pills i could always talk about it then.
the last lot i was taking round about 11/12 because it was during school holidays so i didnt have to be up early but i've now moved it to about 8 in the evening. my gp told me that a pill isnt 'missed' until more than 8 hours has passed from the time the pill should be taken.
also considering getting the implant to stop all this confusion about pills and times [Razz]

Posts: 116 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, you're moving it to an earlier time: not a problem or anything to worry about.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amychaos
Activist
Member # 37929

no from 12am to 8pm.
however i still dont think there should be any problems because i have moved it back and forward before

amychaos
Activist
Member # 37929

sorry sorry 12 pm
Heather
Member # 3

That's still within a 12 hour time frame, so I agree, that should be fine.

But just for future reference, the first day of a next pill pack IS the worst time to make a time change. If you do it again, ideally, you'd want to pick pretty much any other day besides that one, as that's the day when missing a pill or taking it late can create the highest possible risk of decreasing your effectiveness.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Marie1234
Neophyte
Member # 44105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the same question. what if i change it from 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm which is only a six hour time difference. I don't really understand how the first pill could be the worst time. I am a sunday start. And according to my doctor and the insert in the pack of pills, when i first started taking pills i could choose my time to be anytime before midnight on that day as long as it was on the Sunday after my period started. I chose a time and stuck with it. Now that I want to change it I would think as long as it is anytime on that Sunday it shouldn't matter.
Posts: 10 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marie1234
Neophyte
Member # 44105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marie1234     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops i just remembered I also had to use a backup for seven days when first starting on a Sunday after your period. That makes sense now. Sorry [Smile] I will be on my period when I travel to europe next month and will start a new pack my third day there. Right now I am taking them at 9:00 pm my time but that would put it at 3:00 am european time which is not possible. I wanted to take it at 9:00 pm their time which would then require me to finish the pack back home at 3:00 pm my time when I get back to make sure I stay on time and on track. This shouldn't be a problem since I will be taking them actually earlier than I normally would at home. The problem is the following month after I get home and finish that pack, I would like go eventually go back to 9:00 pm again because of my work schedule. Would switching them from 3:00 pm to 9:00 pm be okay with a six hour difference?
Posts: 10 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first pill in a pack is when your body's hormone levels from the pill have dropped way down, and you really need to take a pill to continue your protection.
During the middle of a pack those levels are higher so, there's not a lot of difference in hormone levels in a 6 hour time frame.

So, why don't you take the first pill of the pack at 3pm, the second at 5pm, the third at 7pm, and then rest of the pack at 9pm? Doing that will mean that you should be fine.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

The first pill is the worst time to be late on a pill because you've just had the withdrawal week without the pills. Some doctors working in fertility put women on BCPs for a few months, then tell them to go off and try to become pregnant on that first day post-placebo week because of that.

I agree, a six hour difference shouldn't matter, but ideally, if you want to switch pill times, it's best to err on the early side OR switch your time on another day in your pill cycle than the first.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Marie1234
Neophyte
Member # 44105

So actually it might be better to start taking the first two weeks of pills while in europe at 9:00 pm europe time (3:00 pm my local time) and then just go back to 9:00 pm my local time when I get back in the middle of my pack? Safer that way by the sounds of it.
Heather
Member # 3

Yep.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Marie1234
Neophyte
Member # 44105

Thank you so much for all your help. Confusing stuff sometimes just trying to be responsible [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.