Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Antibiotics and Chlamydia

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antibiotics and Chlamydia
Yourimaginaryfriend
Neophyte
Member # 37209

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Yourimaginaryfriend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I might have chlamydia, so I went and got myself tested, and the results should be in soon. That in itself wasn't the main problem, because I already knew it was treatable.

The problem is, I've looked up how it's treated, and all the information I've found says with antibiotics. Now, I'm alleargic to antibiotics, and to several similar drugs, and I'm not sure what to do if I test positive, because I don't think I can take the treatment.

I've heard stories about it going away naturally, is this possible? And is there anything I could do (changing my diet, etc.) that could possibly help?

Any info would be really helpful, as right now I'm freaking out a little.

--------------------
Of course I'm normal...

Posts: 7 | From: England | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is not uncommon for someone to be allergic to a certain kind of antibiotic or other drug...but I'd be surprised if you were allergic to every class of antibiotics available. You'll need to tell your doctor specifically what you've had a reaction to in the past, and they should be able to find a treatment that will work for you. This is not something that's likely to go away on it's own if it really is chlamydia. In fact, untreated it can turn into PID, which is a bad deal. (If this is chlamydia, your partner(s) will also want to be treated so you're not passing it back and forth.)

The STI Files: Chlamydia

[ 07-24-2009, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, your doctor, knowing your allergies, will probably -- if you do have it -- simply try and find a treatment that will work for you. You're allergic to ALL antibiotics? How severe are your allergies?

Dietary changes aren't going to have any impact on Chlamydia. I also would not leave it untreated: it's more common for untreated Chlamydia to cause secondary infections -- like PID -- than it is for it to just go away somehow.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texascherry85
Neophyte
Member # 45583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texascherry85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i recently found out that i did have it and the doctor told me take the antibotic and not to have sex for a week. Is that just to keep it from going back and forth? What if I had an orgasm would it still go away?
Posts: 5 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texascherry85
Neophyte
Member # 45583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for texascherry85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently found out I had chlamydia. My doctor gave me antibioticsand told me not to have sex for a week. Is that just to keep it from going back and forth? What if I have an orgasm will it still be treated or willi have to do it all over again?
Posts: 5 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having an orgasm is not a Chlamydia treatment: that would have no impact. Chlamydia needs antibiotics to be treated. otherwise, not only will it not go away, the infection may spread further into your reproductive system.

You should take the medication prescribed to you, and if you know you are allergic to it, the doctor should give you something else instead.

Is your partner also being treated?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
texascherry85
Neophyte
Member # 45583

Yes my partner was also treated. I just wanted to make sure that if I had an orgasm while being treated that it would afect it. Sorry for the multiple post my computer is dumb and kept telling me it would post and i guess it did every time!
Heather
Member # 3

No, it won't. What's most important is that you BOTH finish your treatment, that you abstain from sex for one week, but then you should also go back to square one with safer sex: using condoms for the next six months until you both, again, have a full and negative STI test AND have both been monogamous for that period of time.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.