Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Could I have miscarried?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I have miscarried?
GodivaSyndrome
Neophyte
Member # 36232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GodivaSyndrome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go.

I got the Mirena in early May and proceeded to have spotting and a normal period later that month. I continued to spot until mid June and did not get my period that month. I took a pregnancy test July 7th and the test came out negative. I got what I thought was my period two days ago (July 10th). I bled moderately for approximately 24 hours, the first several hours accompanied by the most god awful cramps I had ever felt in my life. A day later, there has been no sight of blood though my nipples are very sore.

I also have become sick with a fever, body aches, shortness of breath, and a dry cough. This could easily be unrelated though.

So, my question is, could the test have been wrong? Could I have been pregnant and miscarried early on? If so, should I seek any sort of medical attention?

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Posts: 21 | From: Oakdale | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The effects you're describing -- spotting, a missed period, cramping -- are pretty typical with a new IUD insertion, especially if you have not been pregnant before.

We can safely assume you were not pregnant when the Mirena was inserted, and pregnancy when using an IUD is very rare, so I don't see any reason to be concerned about miscarriage. As well, that kind of intense cramping with a miscarriage but a total ceasing of bleeding would be unusual in my understanding.

All the same, it might be a good idea to check in with your sexual healthcare provider to be sure your IUD was inserted correctly, and that you're doing okay with it, all your symptoms given.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you're describing are actually very typical side effects of the Mirena IUD (aside from the body aches, fever, etc. - it's likely you just have the flu).

Mirena is a very effective form of birth control, and since you had a negative pregnancy test it's safe to say you're not pregnant. Lighter and irregular periods, spotting, as well as some cramping in the first few months, are all very common side effects. Any hormonal method (and the Mirena does contain low levels of progesterone) can cause nipple tenderness as well.

If you'd like more reassurance, you can call the health care provider who inserted the IUD for you, but there's no reason to think you may have been pregnant and miscarried.

(Edit: Oops, too slow!)

[ 07-12-2009, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GodivaSyndrome
Neophyte
Member # 36232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GodivaSyndrome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thank you both. [Smile]
Posts: 21 | From: Oakdale | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.