Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » First month on the pill... a few questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First month on the pill... a few questions
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachelh27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok. So I started Levora on June 14th and yesterday was my first day of placebo pills. I have been pretty close to a perfect pill user (haven't missed any, only forgot once and took it an hour later than usual, which I know is ok) I don't know when my withdrawal bleed is going to start. During this last month since I started it, my boyfriend and I have had sex four times. Each time, we used a condom successfully and he pulled out before ejaculation. I was only really worried about a possible risk the first time (the 15th, the day after I started the pills), and I actually asked the "is there a risk" question here, and the answer was probably not. I took a test about fifteen days after just to make completely sure and it was negative.

I know you guys recommend a full pill pack use, but the information with my pills said I should be protected after one week. If this is the case, then I have absolutely nothing to worry about. Is this information reliable? I don't know how my body is reacting to the pill since this is my first month taking it. I just want to make sure I am overreacting... when should my withdrawal bleed start? Should I believe the pill information when it says I am good to go after one week? If I start bleeding, that means I am not pregnant, right?

Hopefully this is the last time I have to worry about this stuff... that's the reason I started the pill in the first place. [Smile]

[ 07-06-2009, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: rachelh27 ]

Posts: 34 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Lauren-
Activist
Member # 25983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Lauren-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, most women will have full protection after 7 days of pill-taking. One full pack is recommended however because a minority of women will need a bit longer for full contraceptive protection at first, and because it's generally a good idea to use a trusty backup when starting any new method until one is in the practice of using it correctly.

The withdrawal bleed should start sometime into the 7 day break, usually around 3-5 days after. Even if you don't bleed at all, it's not a reason to panic if you've taken all the pills correctly and have a negative pregnancy test. Pills just sometimes do TOO good a job lightening bleeding to well.. nothing. :)

Posts: 4636 | From: USA/Northern Europe | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachelh27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Ok. So it sounds like I don't have to worry too much at all, with taking all my pills correctly and using a condom every time. Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly!
Posts: 34 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Just one last quick (perhaps dumb) question: a withdrawal bleed means no pregnancy, correct? Especially if it is just looks just like a regular period?
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.
Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

[Smile] Thank you very much!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.