Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ovulation

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovulation
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teeny56943         Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious again - but if you don't get the egg white cervical mucus, could that mean you're pregnant? Or would you get the EWCM even if you were pregnant?
Posts: 34 | From: New york | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a woman becomes pregnant, she stops releasing eggs, and her fertility cycles change because of the pregnancy. So, pregnant women would not generally see fertile mucus, no.

However, often women who are not charting their fertility daily will often not notice certain phases of their cycles. If you're not charting every day, it can be easy to miss seeing or recognizing mucus changes like fertile mucus. So no, I'd not say not seeing that means pregnancy.

However, since not seeing that would put a woman a month past a previous ovulation, if at that time -- a month after the last ovulation -- a woman had had risks of pregnancy and had not had a period, she'd want to test for pregnancy at that point, which is the reliable way to determine a pregnancy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

I see I think. I guess to be more clear I should have asked, if a woman has sperm in her before she has started her ewcm phase and gets pregnant eventually from that sperm, will she skip that ewcm phase that month if that sperm was going to fertilize an egg or would she get ewcm that month since it occurs before an actual egg is released?
Posts: 34 | From: New york | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, lets say that a given woman is going to ovulate on day 14 of her cycle, so she'd have the mucus usually a day or so before, that day and the next. If she had intercourse that was going to result in pregnancy on the 11th, no, that mucus would not change.

Cervical mucus and vaginal discharge changes from pregnancy don't start (and aren't often noticeable fro quite some time) until there is an actual pregnancy, and pregnancy is not an instant process. It takes around a week, sometimes even a little more, to go from the sex that creates a pregnancy to a completed pregnancy.

And so all that makes sense, that cervical mucus with ovulation is part of what is needed for a pregnancy to happen: the consistency that it is -- unlike the thicker, pastier discharge towards the end of a fertility cycle -- helps sperm move to the cervix.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

So you're saying even if that woman did get pregnant she would still have the ewcm? Sorry I know this is a lot of questions I just want to be sure I totally understand!
Heather
Member # 3

I think the central problem we may be having in getting to an understanding here is about language.

Looking back to the example I gave, a woman who has sex on day 11 of her cycles could not BE pregnant in just a couple days: pregnancy takes longer than that to happen.

But if a woman who had sex on day 11 was going to BECOME pregnant from that sex, then yes, just like if she did not become pregnant, if she ovulated in that cycle, she would have fertile mucus regardless. Her having sex that could create a pregnancy -- even if it did that -- a few days before would not change her cycle in advance of a pregnancy.

Better? [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Yes that's clearer thank you! I just wanted to be sure you'd still have it that month regardless of whether or not you became pregnant. Thank you!
Heather
Member # 3

If you were going to ovulate that month, yes, you would.

You're welcome! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Sorry one last little question then I promise I'm done haha! You used day 11 as an example but if it were before day 11 that you had sex, you'd still get it if you were going to ovulate right?
Heather
Member # 3

It would not really matter when you had sex, ultimately. You can't become pregnant before you have ovulated in a cycle, because no egg has been released to fertilize.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

And since you have ewcm before you ovulate, like ovulation, you'd still have it regardless of when you had sex
Heather
Member # 3

That mucus usually starts a day or so before ovulation, continues through ovulation, and sometimes to a day or so after, depending on the individual woman and her particular cycle.

So again, yes, unless we are talking about a pregnancy that happened in the PREVIOUS cycle.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Thank you! sorry again about my confusion!
Heather
Member # 3

Not a problem. A whole lot of people are confused about fertility, especially since it's not often information we're given -- or given correctly -- when we get education about our periods and reproductive systems.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

freakoutxx
Neophyte
Member # 35621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freakoutxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Heather-
It would not really matter when you had sex, ultimately. You can't become pregnant before you have ovulated in a cycle, because no egg has been released to fertilize."

Sorry i posted a question on this before i read the other posts, so i thought i could ask one here...

"You can't become pregnant before you have ovulated in a cycle, because no egg has been released to fertilize."

Does that mean that if you have unprotected sex before you've ovulated, and then a few days later you do ovulate... you can't get pregnant? Since there was no egg to be fertilized?

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

No, it doesn't mean that, because sperm can survive in the vagina for several days: some sources suggest it may be as long as one week.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

freakoutxx
Neophyte
Member # 35621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for freakoutxx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh okay, thank youu

--------------------
xx

Posts: 13 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

In response to something you said earlier, how long after a womans "completed" pregnancy does her discharge change? And what are those changes?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's hard to say exactly...because to a certain extent it's going to be individual to a woman and a pregnancy. Discharge is influenced by what you've got going on hormonally, which can go haywire during a pregnancy. You're not going to see the same sort of phases of discharge that you do during a fertility cycle. Many women may see an increase in the amount of discharge they have during pregnancy (though that's not going to be everybody, nor will it be the same all the time). During my pregnancy, I had a ton of watery discharge at the beginning. Then later I had less and much more toward the end again. As to when it happens, again that's going to be individual because there is a general range/time frame for hormonal changes but it's not set for everyone. Again though, this isn't going to be the same for everybody because bodies and pregnancies are different.

[ 06-30-2009, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

I understand it can be different for everybody but can the change in mucus start as early as the day of actual pregnancy occurance or is that too early?
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Likely that would be too early to see anything noticable. Again, it's not going to be a set interval...but rather related to the way hormone levels build and how the woman's body responds to that. It could be days, it could be weeks...the changes could be slight to what is "normal" for a woman and not even be noticed at all.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Yeah I understand I just wondered if the day of the compete pregancy for woman ist early for any c.m. Changes
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Yeah I understand I just wondered if the day of the compete pregancy for woman ist early for any c.m. Changes
Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Is too early***
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

It is incredibly unlikely that a woman would notice any changes in discharge (or anything else for that matter) on the day of a complete pregnancy.

[ 06-30-2009, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: KittenGoddess ]

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Teeny56943
Neophyte
Member # 43034

Okay thank you!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.