Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Can a yeast infection delay menstruation?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can a yeast infection delay menstruation?
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few days back I posted about my period being late, and I'm still waiting for it, but a new development is making me wonder...

can having a vaginal yeast infection delay it?

This is the yeast infection alone without the medicine I'd be taking to stop it. My period is late by about 5 or 6 days now, and about 5 days ago I noticed a bit of burning down there (which is usually the case in the day or so before my period, so I didn't think much of it) but instead of getting my normal flow, it's become a worse burn, itchy, with some thick white discharge, so I'm seeing a doctor about a possible yeast infection tomorrow.

So with me still scratching my head over whats causing my missing period, I'm wondering if this could be the culprit or not?

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Infection can cause your cycle to be a bit off, for sure, although if you noticed the symptoms of an infection after your period was already late, I'm not sure that would be the cause here. Since you're going to the doctor tomorrow about the possible yeast infection, you can always ask as well about your cycle irregularity.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixeldot
Activist
Member # 16061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pixeldot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boo. I told my mom about the yeast infection and she said we can't see the dr. right now so we need to just get OTC yeast infection meds.

Which means I won't be able to talk to anyone about my missed period either =/

A pregnancy test would be pretty much completely accurate at this point in time, right? (Well, at least when I took it which was about 3 days after my period was suppose to begin). I mean, I had a single night of intercourse in the past 3 months, and we used a condom which is in the "No risk to low risk" category for pregnancy, so not much of a risk + a negative test after period was suppose to begin can pretty much rule that out, right?

That's really the only thing I can think of that would be urgent for me to find out about, as far as a missed period goes.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a pregnancy test would definitely be accurate by now, and it doesn't sound like you had a risk to begin with, so you can rule out pregnancy.

Per the infection, I'd really urge you to try and see some sort of healthcare provider for a diagnosis before starting any sort of treatment for a yeast infection. If you've had one before and can identify the symptoms, then that's fine, but if you've never had one it's important to get a proper diagnosis. Treating yourself for a yeast infection when you don't have one can actually give you one on top of whatever you've got - not fun. Are there any low-cost clinics in your area, or a Planned Parenthood branch or similar?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.