Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Possible risk? Please help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible risk? Please help!
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachelh27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a tendency to overreact to situations.
I started on the pill yesterday, because I am always so nervous about getting pregnant, even though my risk is never high. I know it takes a little while for it to be fully effective, so I was careful when I was with my boyfriend today, and we had protected sex but he pulled out way before he came.

I do apologize for the detail of this post. Instead of coming during sex, my boyfriend came on my stomach. I had underwear on, but I think some semen may have gotten on the outside of the front of them... it wouldn't have been close to my vaginal area because my legs were closed together. I checked them immediately afterward, just to be sure, and I am pretty sure they were dry.

I got my period five days ago, and like I said, today is (only) my second day on the pill. I'm sure that I have nothing to worry about, but I just want to make sure.

Thank you for your help!

Posts: 34 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rachel,

There actually is a LOW TO MODERATE risk of pregnancy. Even though your boyfriend did not ejaculate in your vagina (his ejaculating on your stomach would not present a risk), the precum presented that risk. It takes a month (a complete pill set) for BCP to be effective. I'm going to get you some more articles in a second, but you could consider looking into emergency contraception if you want to be extra sure. Having sex five days after your period means you're getting close to ovulation, which is the window when you would actually be most likely to become pregnant.

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachelh27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used a condom though, and it did not break or slip off... we were extra careful!
Posts: 34 | From: New York | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ecofem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me correct myself: You've most likely started ovulating.

Here are some articles to check out:
On the Rag: A guide to menstruation
Emergency Contraception
Buddy System on Backing up BC
Birth Control Bingo on various types of birth control
Info specific to the Pill

Posts: 3318 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Would there be a risk if a condom was used?
Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Ahh, then if you used a condom, then you should be ok! (I wasn't sure of that in your first post; thanks for clarifying!) I'm glad to hear you've started taking BCP as a back-up form of birth control. [Smile] Intercourse will always come with a pregnancy risk but you can really reduce it by using two methods of birth control. I hear you on the pregnancy concerns and how scary they can be! However, it might be a good choice to take a break from it for awhile until you're feeling more comfortable with your options. We can talk about that if you'd like. [Smile]
rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

I was more worried about the semen on the panties, to be honest XD But I don't really think that is a big risk, right? There was a very small amount, if any, and like I said I didn't find anything when I checked right afterwards. We haven't had very much sex but we always check the condom before and after for rips or anything, and I know there wasn't anything wrong with it today.

I have been so paranoid every time that I finally am on the pill to relieve my stress. I've been getting mixed information-- some places say that it takes a week, and some say that it takes a month to be fully effective.

I turn 18 on Thursday, I just really want to make sure I don't have to celebrate it by going out and buying EC XD Do you think I am probably going to be fine?

[ 06-15-2009, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: rachelh27 ]

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Happy early birthday, Rachel! [Smile]

I really, really think you're ok per the semen on underwear. (They've actually changed the law so you *can* get EC without a prescription at 17, too. Here's an article.

We recommend a month for BCP effectiveness here at Scarleteen. What other sites are you looking at? Ones like Teenwire, Ask Alice, Scarleteen [Wink] and especially the actual brand website are trustworthy. Sites like ask.com are like wikipedia in that anyone can answer questions and the information is usually unverified. I personally think that, when in doubt, go with the longer period just to be sure. [Smile]

rachelh27
Neophyte
Member # 42476

Thank you!

Ok, you just calmed me down VERY MUCH... I was a little stressed about that! I didn't really think I had too much of a reason to worry about it, since there are a hundred reasons why I shouldn't, but I wouldn't be being myself if I wasn't freaked out. Thank the stars my boyfriend has been putting up with that for four years, he's practically a saint by now XD

And I am SO glad I will not have to spend my 18th birthday taking EC.

With that in mind, I will wait until my first pack of pills is up before I do anything again. I always come to Scarleteen with any problems, but I have heard from other places (not entirely sure which, to be honest) that a week is just as good as anything. I realize that I should probably listen to you guys.

And, did they actually change that law? I heard a buzz about it a few months ago. The article says "The FDAs latest action does not mean that Plan B will be immediately available to 17-year-olds.The manufacturer must first submit a request" but that was from April, so I am not sure. A bunch of places (including commercials and pharmacy websites) also still say 18+. Yahoo Health goes so far to say "do not give this medication to anyone under 18 years old." The Plan B website also says 18+ without a perscription.

[ 06-15-2009, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: rachelh27 ]

Ecofem
Activist
Member # 13388

Hi Rachel [Smile] ,

Thanks for your kind words and I'm glad to hear you're doing better! I hope the waiting works out for you; if you decide to be sexually active with your boyfriend between now and then, you two could take additional steps to make the pregnancy risk extremely, extremely slim to nil by sticking to mutual masturbation (you each only touch your own genitals) or manual sex on him with him wearing a condom and you wearing a few layers (for your own sanity [Wink] ). Or he could perform manual or oral sex on you whjle keeping his pants on and/or while wearing a condom. Admittedly, that's somewhat overkill, but we want you to not only not have to deal with an unwanted pregnancy OR a lot of stress and freaking out about something that's supposed to really be about having fun.

Here are some more links for you along those lines:

Manual sex pregnancy risk assessment
Oral sex pregnancy risk assessment
Dry Sex pregnancy risk assessment

Also, because they're fun and interesting (at least I think so!):
Does Abstinence make the heart grow fonder?
Safer Sex for your heart
Yield for Pleasure
Be a Blabbermouth!
Safe, Sound and Sexy
Readiness Checklist

(I'm not saying that any of those things are problem areas but rather worth reading or rereading, alone or with your boyfriend. I regularly do myself and my boyfriend and I were talking about some of the content this evening. [Smile] I find the S.E.X. book to be a good resource for quick reference, too, if you're interested in an all-inclusive paper copy. I find that anytime -- but especially at a time where there's a little or a lot of extra worrying -- that reviewing the information, learning new stuff, and then taking it over with your partner can help both of you feel better and enjoy things more.)

Good point about the article on EC: If all else fails and you were to want to take it, you could always ask someone already 18 to get EC for you. I'm honestly not sure but would assume that the Plan B website is most accurate (because they'd want to sell it to 17 year olds asap for the profit for one!) So I'd say you're right there and I have more research to do; I'm not an expert on this stuff and always double-check site resources but our founder and director, Heather Corinna,always is sure to have the latest and most accurate information available on the main site . [Smile] If you're interested in reproductive health news and politics, we recommend RH Reality Check.

I hope you keep feeling better and, again, that you have a completely enjoyable 18th birthday! (And, if you haven't already, register to vote so you have even more of a say on such future legislation. [Smile] )

[ 06-15-2009, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Ecofem ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.