Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » BC & time change

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BC & time change
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for taxxy28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I have a question about birth control and the time change.

I take my pill every day at four o'clock in the afternoon. I'm currently on vacation in Asia, and I took with me a little clock that will always have Texas time. Here, it's a 13-hour difference.

I'm faithfully taking the pills at the SAME TIME everyday, Texas time. This means I'll wake up at five in the morning (which is four in the afternoon in Texas) and take my pill.

This may now seem like a stupid question, but I just would like to confirm that this is alright. When I get back, I shouldn't have to use another form of birth control for a month right. Also, I just started a new pack and my period has been stopping at a much slower rate. I wonder if this is just normal or maybe I missed a day...? Thank you for your time.

Posts: 90 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you are faithfully taking your pill every 24 hours, then that is perfectly fine and you will be covered when you get back to the U.S.

And since you are on vacation, having a longer withdrawal bleed is feasible. Going on any vacation can put stress on your body, especially as you've traveled quite a distance, and have had to readjust to different times and foods, etc. The stress can mess with your cycle and cause longer bleeding, or it could be shorter, or you could have random spotting; any number of things could occur. So I wouldn't worry about it too much [Smile]

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
taxxy28
Activist
Member # 40438

Icon 1 posted      Profile for taxxy28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello~!

A month later after faithfully taking my pills at the same time every day, regardless of the 13-hour time change, I'm returning back to the States next week. My partner and I soley use birth control pills, and I'm basically going to be sexually active again as soon as I get back.

During my time here in Asia, I've gone through two birth control cycles. So I've had two periods. My first period was a little off - it started literally hours after I took the first placebo pill and lasted longer than normal. But Scarleteen confirmed that traveling across the world and with such a drastic timechange, this was quite normal.

A month later, still in Asia, I had my second period. Now that I was completely used to the time change and food differences, etc... my period was normal. I started placebo pills on Wednesday, my period does not start until Saturday, lasts until the next Saturday... very normal, happens every month. So that's that.

When I get back, I'm going to be sexually active immediately. And I'm also going to be going through intense jetlag, food differences, etc like I have experienced when I first went to Asia. My question is: will this drastic change in time and place in ANY way affect my birth control? Because again, we don't use any other backup form of contraceptive. So if, for some reason, my body was under too much stress or jetlag, would the birth control still be effective? I wasn't concerned at all about this GOING to Asia because I wasn't going to be having sex.

But to be safe, should we use condoms for a week? Or it's not necessary...?

This has been on my mind lately, so I'd thought I'd be completely sure. Thank you so much~!

Posts: 90 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you continue taking a pill every 24 hours, there should be no change in the effectiveness of the pill. However, it's very easy when dealing with jet lag and all the other adjustments of travel to forget to take a pill, or take one late, so backing up with condoms for a week wouldn't be a bad idea. It just depends how well you think you can stick to your schedule of pill-taking.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.