Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » defining Queer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: defining Queer
QuantumInc
Neophyte
Member # 41507

Icon 5 posted      Profile for QuantumInc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On this website and feministing.com I've seen a number of people call themselves queer. On one feministing blog there were several responses where people said "I'm not bisexual I'm queer!"

As I understand the word, the original definition is a synonym for strange, weird, odd. It also came to refer to homosexuals in the early 20th century. However the way I've seen it used confuses me. Sometimes it seems intentionally ambiguous. It's like the word is used to avoid defining one's sexuality. The wikipedia article on queer confirms this.

How do you define the term?

Posts: 21 | From: US West | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuantumInc
Neophyte
Member # 41507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuantumInc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the term 'genderqueer' has appeared in several places, it also confuses me.
Are these terms really intentionally ambiguous?
Do they have a precise definition that I'm not aware of?

Posts: 21 | From: US West | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's safe to say that when we're talking about terms like "queer" and "genderqueer," that yes, in some respect, these are terms which are intentionally ambiguous. In other words, they're terms that tend to leave more latitude for a variance of identity and experience than say, "bisexual" (which is all about binary gender) or "male" or "female" (also binary).

People who ID as genderqueer tend to mean that they do not feel cisgendered or transgender, but outside the binary or are questioning their gender.

When most of us who ID as queer say that, what we most generally tend to mean is that our identity and experience is, seems or feels outside a lot of norms, and doesn't fit easily or well into other boxes. For example, I'm a person who does tend to ID with my orientation as queer. To give you the nutshell of my own sexual history and orientation so you can see why, I've dated men and women, at least one intersex partner that I know of (and given how many sexual partner I have had, potentially more than one), and a couple partners who ID'd as genderqueer or questioning when it comes to their gender. I've had times in my life when my attraction sphere was very broad, but then had other times when I was only attracted to women and people who ID'd as female. I also tend to be attracted to androgynous or butch people, but not attracted to femme in people of any gender.

So, I've certainly never been straight, I don't think I've ever been completely homosexual, nor does it make sense to say bisexual when my attraction clearly includes those who are not cisgendered men or women, and when my experiences of gender with myself and others also don't fit into the usual binaries or ideas about gender. Make sense?

Too? Sometimes, for sure, some of us don't want to have a pat definition for our sexual identity, and do resist that in how we identify, for any number of reasons.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mortality
Activist
Member # 35831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mortality     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh, I didn't check what section thsi was posted in >< SORRY!

[ 05-17-2009, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Mortality ]

Posts: 122 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.