Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Inqiury

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Inqiury
paperlight
Neophyte
Member # 42077

Icon 5 posted      Profile for paperlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello - this is my second time on the message boards and I apologize if my questions are a bit redundant, but I've searched this site a bit and haven't found any case that seems close to mine.

So, I started taking birth control again (I took Cycless for a while, switched to Reclipsen, stopped, and commenced Reclipsen after a couple of months) and was advised by the college nurse to try a different method: 2 packs continuously disregarding the placebo on the 1st pack, and only taking 4 placebos on the second. Apparently, this will be more effective in suppressing ovaries from releasing the egg.

Anyway, I'm on my second pack now (2nd week specifically), and I had unprotected (no-condom) sex with my bf yesterday (he didn't ejaculate inside me, but precum is probable). I'm afraid that I've had unprotected sex too soon. I've 'missed' some pills on my 1st pack (and by 'miss' I mean not taken them at the exact hour, but not forgotten to take them at all). So just to break it down, here are my questions:

- When does bc start becoming effective against pregnancy? When is no-condom sex okay to do when BC is also taken?

- What constitutes a "missed pill"? Not being taken exactly at the hour? Or is it just forgetting to take a pill altogether?

Hope this is clear enough. Let me know if you have further questions or need clarification.

Thanks!

Posts: 19 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We generally recommend finishing one full cycle before relying on the pill, though some may be effective sooner for some individuals. Being two weeks in to a second pack certainly means that it should be effective.

For a combined pill like Reclipsen, a missed pill is generally considered a pill that is more than 12 hours late. An on time pill is one taken within a three hour window (so, if you normally take your pills at 6pm, taking them at 8pm isn't a problem).

If you have taken all of your pills in this second pack on time, there's no need to worry about a pregnancy risk.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paperlight
Neophyte
Member # 42077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paperlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much! Your response has been very helpful.

Just another question:
Apparently some medications can interfere with the effectiveness of BC. Is there a general consensus of what these meds may be? I read the Reclipsen manual and it didn't specify - I was wondering if you guys may know. I'm sick right now and been taking different types of medicines ranging from cough syrups to nasal decongestants, and other pain killers. I hope none of these have affected my BC intake. I apologize for seeming so ignorant about these things - I guess that's why Scarleteen exists!

Thanks again

Posts: 19 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the medications that interfere with BC are antibiotics, and Saint John's wort. Over the counter cough syrups or decongestants aren't a problem, nor are pain killers, so you're fine there.

In the future, if you are ever prescribed antibiotics for any reason, mention to your doctor that you're on BC and they'll let you know if the specific antibiotic is a problem. Pharmacists are also great people to ask about interactions between various medications.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.