Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Plan B, her period, and nipple tenderness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plan B, her period, and nipple tenderness
Mikael
Neophyte
Member # 42654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, here's the situation. About a month ago my girlfriend and I were having sex with a condom, when it broke. About 36 hours afterwards we got Plan B for her just to be on the safe side. Now, about 3 days after that we (yes, stupidly I realize, don't need to tell me) had unprotected sex, but I didn't cum. We haven't had sex since. About 3 days or so after that she had real heavy bleeding for three days, which she says was exactly like her period but heavier than normal. This was two weeks before her period would normally be. Her regular cycle (before Plan B) would have her period starting sometime around right now. Now, she mentioned today how she had tender and slightly sore nipples. However, she's pretty sure she might have bruised them in some fashion by messing with the skin around them.

Now, here's my few questions. Is it normal for Plan B to throw a cycle out of whack, and for her period to have occurred to weeks ahead of schedule? Also, will this permanently have changed her period, or will it eventually go back to its old cycle? Now, given that we had had unprotected sex soon AFTER her taking Plan B, was there any risk in that? I'm fairly certain I had read that even though unprotected sex after Plan B is a bad idea, that Plan B should prevent pregnancy for the remainder of the cycle. I'm just a little on edge by not knowing exactly when her period should occur now, since her cycle might be different now. Also, about the nipple soreness making me think bad thoughts, even though she's fairly sure it was a result of her doing. I'm not particularly worried about pregnancy, I'm more curious about her cycle.

If you need anything clarified, just let me know. Thanks!

[ 04-25-2009, 03:18 AM: Message edited by: Mikael ]

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emergency contraception does tend to disrupt women's menstrual cycles. Things should adjust to a more normal rhythm within a cycle or two.

However, it cannot be depended on to prevent pregnancy from a risk that occurs three days after taking it; that's not how it works. Since this was a month ago, your partner can take a home pregnancy test and get an accurate result.

Do you guys need some help finding a reliable form of contraception? We can help you with that. Also, STIs are also a risk from unprotected sex. Are you two tested regularly?

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikael
Neophyte
Member # 42654

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikael     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep! No STI problems at all.

Don't really need a reliable form of contraceptive, depending on what you mean. Besides that one time I mentioned we always use a condom. Don't really like them though, for several reasons, the one being that there have been a couple of breakages. We'd like to get her on oral contraceptive, but both being students we don't really have much money. I had heard that Planned Parenthood could offer birth control at reduced prices. Would that be a good place to check? And how reduced might reduced be?

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikael
Neophyte
Member # 42654

Sorry, forgot to include this in my last post. One thing I'd forgotten to mention, was she has had her period since the last time we had sex. At least she says she's 100% sure that the heavy bleeding she had for three days was her period, as she says it had cramps and that "she knows her body well enough to know it was her period". Is there any possibility it WASN'T her period, and just some weird Plan B side effect that she might mistake for her period? She's convinced it was her period, it was just real surprising to me that it could come two weeks early.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since she's describing it as a normal period for her, you can be pretty darn sure it was her period. Like Jill said, Plan B can disrupt a woman's cycle, so her having a period early isn't too surprising.

Per your girlfriend getting on some sort of hormonal birth control, yes, Planned Parenthood does often charge on a sliding scale - so they'll charge you based on your income, and it may even be free. To find the clinic nearest you, the Planned Parenthood website has a search function by either zip code or state. Where do you get your STI screenings? They may also be able to recommend a clinic as well.

In the meantime, make sure you're using plenty of lube with your condoms - a drop on the inside and as much as you need on the outside helps prevent them from breaking. If comfort is an issue, there are lots of brands out there, and they're all slightly different; you might want to get a few brands and do a bit of experimenting to see what works best for you.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikael
Neophyte
Member # 42654

Thanks a lot for the comments! Our University's clinic offers STI screenings to students, which is the service we've been using. We've been together for about four years, and neither of us has had sex with anyone else, so we don't get checked on much of a regular basis. Would this be something we should look into?

The brand that fits best for me is Trojan Magnums. To me they feel like they fit pretty well. I don't really know of any other "larger" condoms, though. Otherwise I'd probably try a couple of different things just to see if one of them fits better. Any suggestions?

There's only been maybe two breakages, but they've both been in the past 3 months or so, so it might just feel like it happens all the time. Thanks for the tip about using lube, I'll have to start trying that.

[ 04-27-2009, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Mikael ]

-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you're in a long-term, monogamous relationship, getting tested annually should be fine. And yay for having free screenings available!

These articles may help you find condoms that work well for you:
Your Map to the Condom Aisle
Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikael
Neophyte
Member # 42654

Those links might end up being pretty helpful. Tonight when we were having sex, two condoms broke. It makes no sense to me, as they feel like they fit just fine. Anything smaller just feels too tight. Both of the condoms seemed like they started pulling towards the base, making it tighter at the tip, which I fixed when I happened to notice it. I can't imagine why they both would break. Maybe should try some lube? I do have trouble keeping a full erection while wearing a condom. Could getting slightly flaccid be causing slack in the condom, causing it to pull and become tighter at the tip where it breaks?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lube is key. Even if you're using pre-lubed condoms, the amount on them is generally not enough to withstand the friction of intercourse, so adding more is always a good idea (just make sure it's latex safe). Plus, it makes things a lot more comfortable for everyone involved. It is possible that losing your erection a bit could be contributing to the breakage, but it's more likely an issue of adequate lubrication.

As far as condom brands go, Trojans actually are not fantastic - they seem to break more often than other brands for some reason. Lifestyles and Durex are both easily available brands, and both make larger-sized condoms; they're mentioned in the first article Jill linked you to.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mikael
Neophyte
Member # 42654

Thanks so much for the input from everyone. I'll have to try using lube or potentially another condom brand. I have just one further question I think. In regards to the two broken condoms I talked about in my last post, I noticed them breaking just about right away and pulled out immediately. They were both rather near the beginning of intercourse, so I wasn't particularly close to having an orgasm at all. I'm just wondering if I should be safe and buy Plan B again? I just don't want to have to always buy Plan B anytime a condom breaks, as I don't have a lot of disposable income, but at the same time this is a pretty bad time in my life to have a child. Should I not worry too much, or play it cautious? If it's relevant for some reason, her next period should be in about a week if it's going to be a month after the early one she had.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Well, it's ultimately up to your girlfriend whether or not she wants to take Plan B again; it's her body and she's going to be the one stuck with the side effects if there are any. In this case, since you hadn't ejaculated at the point the condom broke in either case, the risk here is low, so it just depends what sort of level of risk you're both comfortable with.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.