Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Yeast?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yeast?
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,
I have something weird going on. In the past, I've had a long, difficult history with UTI's, only one yeast infection (recently...within the past 4 months) and a diagnosis of HSV-2, although I haven't had an outbreak in over a year, and even then, they are mild and respond well to medication. 2 months ago, I had these unbearable lesions on my vulva which I at first thought were herpes, but they were so severe and didn't respond at all to the Valtrex, and they lasted for days and days, reappearing after healing right away. I got in with my gynecologist and was diagnosed with BV and given a 7 day prescription of Flagyl. I did pretty well with it, skipping one dose due to forgetfulness. By the very last day, the cuts were gone.
Then they came back within 3 days. In the meantime, I had lost my health insurance. I went to the campus health center and asked for a refill on the prescription (they had not given me the original prescription), and they did a test and saw no evidence of the bacterial infection I was first treated for, so they wouldn't give me another prescription. They also said there wasn't any evidence of a yeast overgrowth. They wouldn't help me AT ALL, and told me it was probably herpes.
I've had herpes for 2 years and have not had an outbreak with more than one sore, and it never lasts for more than 48 hours. These lesions are up to an inch long, incredibly painful, they bleed, they have been constant for weeks and weeks. Sometimes it itches so badly, but I can't actually itch because the skin is so delicate it will tear. This isn't herpes. I have no idea what it is. It's really killing me, not only the pain but the psychological turmoil--the herpes diagnosis was really traumatic, and now having a constant source of anguish in between my legs stresses me out and makes me feel horrible. I have no idea what to do; I can't afford to see my regular gynecologist and the people on campus won't listen to me. Please help. I can't find anything like this on the internet.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pink. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this, and sorry that your campus health clinic is being . *hugs*

You're right - this definitely doesn't sound like herpes. You do need to find a way to see a doctor about this, so is there any way we can help you do that? Other than your campus health center, are there any low-cost clinics in your area? If you're willing to post your county or zip code, I can try and track down some resources for you.

Obviously no one here can diagnose you, but we can give you as much support as you need in finding a health care provider you can see about this.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks [Smile] . I live in Oswego county in New York State.
Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you on this.

I found a couple of clinics that might work for you. Unfortunately, there isn't much in Oswego itself, but there seem to be a few in the surrounding areas, if you can find transportation.

Women's Health Horizons
824 Franklin Park Dr
East Syracuse, NY 13057
(315)432-1048

Syracuse Planned Parenthood
1120 E Genesee Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
(866)600-6886

Alternatively, you can go back to your campus health center and be a bit more forceful in insisting on a more thorough examination. It's always worth putting a call in to your gyn and asking if you can pay out-of-pocket, perhaps on some sort of installment plan? Some doctors are willing to be a bit flexible in terms of payment - it isn't always the case, but at this point it's probably worth a try, especially for something causing you so much pain and discomfort.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.