Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » morning after pill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: morning after pill
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

Icon 5 posted      Profile for beauty+FULL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1)how many types of morning after pills is available in the market currently?
2)aside from postinor 2,is there any other morning after pill?
3)i have also notice that theress also postinor 1,aside of postinor 2 whats the difference between these two types,i would like to know. [Confused]
4)is it true that the side effect is worse than the birth control pills? [Eek!]
5)its more concentrated/more potent than the birth control pills? [Eek!]
6)cant be taken long term?
7)is it also known as the EC(emergency control)?

Posts: 48 | From: in mua beauty world,where everyone beautiful leaves there XD | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to estimate how many types are available, because in addition to the pills designed to be taken as EC (emergency contraception) it is possible to use some brands of regular birth control pills as EC. Princeton University has a database which shows which brands are available in which countries - you can search by brand name or country.

There are many brands of emergency contraception other than Postinor 2, which ones are available to you depends on where you live. From what I can find, the difference between Postinor 1 and 2 is simply the number of pills in one dose. Postinor 1 is one tablet, whereas Postinor 2 is two tablets - one taken as soon as possible, the other 12 hours later.

As far as side effects go, most women do find that the side effects are a bit stronger than the ones they might experience from birth control. It really varies from person to person, though - some women might not experience any side effects at all. The level of hormones in EC is higher than in normal birth control pills, which is why the side effects tend to be a little bit more extreme.

Emergency contraception is not designed to be taken long-term, as a regular birth control would be: it is to be used only in case of an emergency, as the name suggests.

Have a look at our article on the subject: Emergency Contraception.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beauty+FULL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the reply and the links.appreciate that [Smile]

but isnt this lead to overdose ?based on the Princeton database,and if i didnt interpret it wrongly .in 5 days time have to consume 50 pills??means each day 10 pills(2 pills once to consume for 5 times per day)? [Eek!] [Eek!]
do kindly correct me if i get the wrong idea.

quote from princeton:

Oral Contraceptives used for EC / Progestin Only

Take 50 pills within 120 hours after unprotected sex:
Microlut 35

Posts: 48 | From: in mua beauty world,where everyone beautiful leaves there XD | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that should not lead to an overdose. See this: http://www.ippf.org/en/Resources/Guides-toolkits/Pill+formulations+and+dosing.htm

Understand that how many pills one is taking is also about how many mg's are in a given pill. Microlut-35 is a very low-dose pill (and contains no estrogen). It contains .03 mgs of Levonorgestrel, and two Plan B pills contain .75 each. So, two Plan Bs = the same mg as 50 of the Microlut-35s.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beauty+FULL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i see..thanks heaps for the link to clear my doubt XD
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

I'm back [Smile]

Now I'm going to open back this old thread.
I realise that I have menses THREE times in a month after taking EC-I took Postinor 2 after an unprotected sex.
IS it normal to have menses THREE TIMES A MONTH after taking EC?? **worry**

Please help

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the most common side effects of EC is irregular bleeding and cycle irregularity. Nothing to be concerned about.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5721 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

when u mean irregular bleeding and cycle irregularity.do u mean its normal to have situation like mine,experiencing menses for 3 weeks in a row.Each menses cycle last me for 4 days.So that means in total I'm bleeding for like 3*4=12 times/day in a month!!

Now is that normal??

beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

Cos say a month contains 30 days,which means I will be bledding and having menses for at least 40% of the time.Out of 30 days,I will have like 12 days menses @.@

Is that normal and nothing to be concerned about?

Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Yes, bleeding like what you described is quite common after taking EC.

--------------------

beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

I have another question:

1)Is it normal as well that I still have this kind of ''abnormal bleeding'' even when I stop taking EC?

The last time I took EC is in early January 2010.

Now its already end of March and in both Feb&March I still do have ''excessive menses'' even when I no longer take EC?

2)I understands that EC messed up the menstrual cycle,but can it further messed up mine even when I stop taking it?

Before this(before EC),I always have regular 28 days cycle.
And my menses last me 5 days,but now its like having menses 4 days in 1 week for 3 weeks in a row(all in 1 month)

Is this totally normal or should I run to the gynae office for check ups?

beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

erm,I dont mean to BUMP the thread,but no one is answering.Maybe the staff/volunteers just missed out my post,I wonder
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

erm,I dont mean to BUMP the thread,but no one is answering.Maybe the staff/volunteers just missed out my post,I wonder
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you describe the bleeding you have been having? Also, to be sure, especially if you used EC because of unprotected sex, have you had tests done for sexually transmitted infections?

If you are saying you have been having period-level bleeding for weeks in a row, regardless, I'd suggest checking in with your gynecologist. That would not be typical with EC use.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67933 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

The type of bleeding I experience so far is heavy.Heavy as in I can easily use up to 6 sanitary napkins(super absorbent/ultra thin napkins)
The colors is bright red with clots of black thing..(maybe its my uterus lining?)

Yes,I have gone for check ups prior to that.All the result comes back negative tho.This was before I experince heavy bleeding for weeks in a row

I guess this sound abnormal?

Heather
Member # 3

It doesn't sound right, no. So, I'd go and see your doctor as soon as you can.

--------------------
About MeGet our book!

beauty+FULL
Activist
Member # 42465

Thanks!I shall go and run to the gynae.Will make appointment with the gynae first thing in the morning tommorrow [Smile]

**im praying HARD theres nothing wrong down south**

Will let u guys know the outcome once I see the gynae

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.