Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Cervical Mucus?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cervical Mucus?
libertinedreamer
Neophyte
Member # 37328

Icon 1 posted      Profile for libertinedreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on the combined pill for 6 months and have taken it perfectly, same time every day, never missing a pill.

However sometimes I seem to still get the sort of stretchy "egg white" discharge which i believe is supposed to show ovulation. Is this possible while I'm on the pill and (hopefully) not ovulating?

Thanks

Jenny

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you've been taking your pill properly, there is no reason to think it isn't working. The pill does tend to thicken your cervical mucus, yes, but that doesn't mean that you can't still have some changes.

It isn't anything to stress about, but there is no harm in backing up with another method for the peace of mind.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5658 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aj_stylez07
Neophyte
Member # 42551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aj_stylez07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I have a serious question regarding this. My gf was in a serious relationship for 2 years and was sexually active. The last time she had intercourse was 1.5 years ago. The other day we were fooling around for the first time and I was manually stimulating her with my fingers. When she orgasmed and I pulled out my fingers, I found a thick clumpy white discharge (much like semen) and also white dry type of discharge as well (something like bread crumbs which is also much like dried semen).

Is this discharge semen from her previous partner from the sexual encounters she had with him? Or is it normal vaginal discharge? Can semen from previous sexual encounters be present in the vagina even years after intercourse by attaching onto the walls? Or does the body naturally remove all of it (from the vaginal and cervix walls) through mucous secretion and discharge?

Thanks

Posts: 4 | From: Brisbane | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By no means does semen remain in the vagina for months or years: it makes it's way out in just a few days. To realize how much it doesn't make sense to think otherwise, think about menstruation and all the discharges a woman has during every month: if all this stuff didn't flush itself out constantly and easily, our bodies would freaking explode. [Smile]

During some times of the fertility cycle, vaginal discharges are thick or clumpy. Too, a yeast infection can look like the discharge you're describing.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About MeGet our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67076 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.