Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » what happens when you miss a few days of the pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what happens when you miss a few days of the pill?
*a_dream_in_aqua*
Activist
Member # 40666

Icon 4 posted      Profile for *a_dream_in_aqua*         Edit/Delete Post 
i've been on the Pill for about 5 months, and i'm using it to regulate my period (not for preventing pregnancy). i ordered more from my pharmacy last week, because i ran out this weekend, but they haven't shipped it to me yet. AH! yesterday would have been the start of the new pack, and i hear that it's not too bad to miss one pill. but what happens if i miss more than one? i heard from my doctor that it's okay if you miss one-and only one- day, to take 2 the next day (can you confirm this for me-cause i'm not trying that unless it's proven safe) to compensate? also, when the new pack finally arrives, should i just start on the day that i would be on and throw the ones i missed out? i hate that this will probably mess up my cycle! what do i do?!?

--------------------
Knowlege IS Power.

Posts: 60 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to how you are going to take your pill, that's really going to depend on how long a wait you have. If you miss more than three days (and if you miss but three, you'll just double up pills your first three days: and yes, that's known to be safe), you are going to want to go ahead and basically restart as you would when starting for the first time. If you give us a poke when your pills come, we can tell you what to do then.

If you're not using these as sole birth control, there's not going to be a huge issue, save that depending on how many you miss, you may have some spotting and just have to deal with the inconvenience of having some withdrawal bleeds happen on a new schedule.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*a_dream_in_aqua*
Activist
Member # 40666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *a_dream_in_aqua*         Edit/Delete Post 
hi again. so i just received my medicine TODAY. what should i do? would it be unsafe to double up so much? should i just skip it completely? HELP!!

--------------------
Knowlege IS Power.

Posts: 60 | From: MA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because you said you ran out this weekend and this is now friday, you've missed more than three pills. What you'll want to do is go ahead and start this pack like you would normally for a new pack. This may cause your withdrawal bleed to be a bit off from where it had been or some spotting, but that's normal. Also, if you're planning to have any type of sex that poses a pregnancy risk, you're going to want to use a back-up method.

[ 02-12-2009, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*a_dream_in_aqua*
Activist
Member # 40666

i'm only using this birth control to regulate my period. i'm not sexually active. so when you say that i should start this pack like a new one, do you mean that i should wait until i get my next period to start taking this? or should i start again this sunday on the first pill? (and true, i missed three days, but today i would be taking the 4th pill...and that time hasnt passed yet..should i still wait for my next period?)

--------------------
Knowlege IS Power.

*a_dream_in_aqua*
Activist
Member # 40666

oh wait, youre right, i missed 4 pills. sorry about that last part.

--------------------
Knowlege IS Power.

*a_dream_in_aqua*
Activist
Member # 40666

hi again, not to be a pain or anything, but did you mean that i should start again on this sunday?

--------------------
Knowlege IS Power.

eryn_smiles
Peer Ambassador
Member # 35643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eryn_smiles         Edit/Delete Post 
You have two choices. You could start this Sunday or you could start on the first day of your next period. Because you have missed some pills, it is difficult to predict when your next period will come, so I would recommend starting this Sunday.

Be aware that it may take some time for you to have regular withdrawal bleeds again.

--------------------
"Caring for myself is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation and that is an act of political warfare."

Audre Lorde

Posts: 1326 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*a_dream_in_aqua*
Activist
Member # 40666

hi again! so just as an update: i started the sunday that eryn mentioned, and my doc said (like you said) that breakthrough bleeding might occur. but as long as im back on the medication and i'll start to regulate again, no worries!

just curious, how long do you think it would take to regulate? a few months?

--------------------
Knowlege IS Power.

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's hard to say since it depends on your individual body. Could be right away, or it could be a couple of months.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.