Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Tummy pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tummy pills
jessinator55
Activist
Member # 19702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessinator55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I am taking these new stomach pills that contain Peppermint Oil Extract, Ginger Oil, Fennel Oil, Gelatin, Soybean Oil, Glycerin, Enteric Coating, Water and Carob. Can any of these ingredients interact with birth control that anyone knows of? Thanks,
Jess

Posts: 59 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did some research to see if I could find any of those herbs/extracts listed as things that could interfere with oral contraceptives. They are certainly not the ones we hear about being issues most often and, indeed, I did not find any literature that mentioned those ingredients having an impact on effectiveness of BC pills.

The University of Michigan Med School does have a listing of a lot of herbal interactions (you'd want to avoid any of the herbs listed as causing a lowering of estrogen or progestins in the body, as that is what you would not want want to go awry with your pills). I also checked the 19th edition of Contraceptive Technology, which is sort of the go-to book for all things contraception.

If you are still concerned you may want to give a pharmacist a call, as they have access to extensive databases that can help answer these questions. I'd always defer to a pharmacist for questions like this, if possible.

I'm glad you asked this question, though. So many people fail to let their doctors know about ALL of the medications (including over the counter and herbal) that they are taking, and some things do impact effectiveness of BC. It looks from my research, though, that you are likely ok.

[ 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: CJT ]

Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJT
Assistant Director
Member # 40442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Additionally, to be extra safe, you may want to check the patient information sheet that came with your birth control to see if they list any drug or herbal interactions you should be aware of. If you don't have that sheet anymore, we have a handy dandy link to many PI sheets for various kinds of pills.
Posts: 384 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.