Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » heavy spotting after period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: heavy spotting after period
bk11sh32
Neophyte
Member # 40025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bk11sh32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last period ended on the 2nd of january. It was a normal one, lasted six days as usual, but on the 8th, I started to spot pretty heavily, it was fresh red blood, not the brown kind like old discarded blood. It only happened once, but i was still worried about it. I was wondering if this is anything to be alarmed by or to go to the doctor about; though i've been pretty stressed since the beginning of the week thanks to exams, so could that be the reason?

Thank you for your input!

Oh, and also, one of my friends was asking me this question and I didnt have the answer, so I decided to post it here...is it possible to get pregnant by showering with someone of the opposite sex without penetration, or would the sperm not be able to survive the heat or the soap or something?

Thanks so much [Big Grin]

Posts: 17 | From: my computer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One instance of spotting sounds like a reasonable variation to me. From what you've described, I see no reason for concern.

For the second question, semen must come in contact with a vulva for there to be a pregnancy risk. You said there was no penetration, so unless he actually ejaculated onto her vulva, it doesn't sound like that happened. Sperm are susceptible to soap and water, so even if a small amount of pre-ejaculate made its way onto her vulva (not in her vagina), and was promptly washed off, everything should be fine.

--------------------
I would have girls regard themselves not as adjectives but as nouns. --Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bk11sh32
Neophyte
Member # 40025

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bk11sh32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phew. Thank you! I doubted that there was a reason for concern but I was still a bit freaked and I wanted to make sure.

And thanks for answering the second question too!

Posts: 17 | From: my computer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.