Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Should I tell him?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I tell him?
ttsmith2008
Neophyte
Member # 41028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttsmith2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I decided a while back to have an open relationship. This was not a spur-of-the moment decision or anything-we discussed it for a very long time beforehand, and decided that because we are young and still in college, we felt it would be best to be allowed to see other people so that later in life neither of us could ever say we felt like we missed out on anything. We've been together since high school and love each other very much and plan on getting married when we graduate in 2 years. But since we've only ever been with each other, and since we both have pretty open views on the whole sex vs. love concept, we decided to open up the relationship for a while. Several months later, he came to me and said that he no longer felt comfortable with this idea, because he loved me too much. And I agreed. So that was the end of the open relationship, and I'm fine with that. He was never with someone else--he said he just couldn't bring himself to ever do it which is what made him realize he didn't want to have an open relationship anymore. My issue is though, that while we were open, I did sleep with someone else. I used protection and got tested afterward to be safe for both myself and my boyfriend in the future, but I never told him about this. After knowing that he "couldn't bring himself to do it" as he said, I feel incredibly guilty that I could, even though I technically did nothing wrong since we were open at that point. Part of me wishes that he had slept with someone else because then I wouldn't feel guilty. And part of me worries that if I tell him, he'll be afraid I don't love him as much since I could do it when he couldn't.

At this point in time, it's been a few months since we closed the relationship back off, and don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with the way things are. And it might sound weird, but I think being with someone else kind of solidified that for me in a way, because now I know beyond a doubt that no one else will ever compare to him. But I'm still struggling over whether or not to tell him. We tell each other literally everything. I've never outright lied to him, because he's never asked if I was with anyone else, but it seems like he just assumes I wasn't, so I still feel like I'm lying, even though I'm not. This is the first secret I've ever kept from him, and I hate the idea of keeping that secret, but I'm afraid telling him will only serve to hurt him, and I don't want that to happen. He doesn't deserve any kind of pain from me or anyone else.

So the question is whether I should tell him or not?

--------------------
--ttsmith

Posts: 2 | From: north carolina | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As someone who doesn't keep secrets well, I would probably tell him. However, I have no reason for that other than I hate keeping secrets.

Just so you know, you'll only get staff replies here. If you want to get replies from everyone, just reply here and we'll move the thread.

--------------------
Courtenay

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ttsmith2008
Neophyte
Member # 41028

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ttsmith2008     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize I posted here. I'm new here and still figuring everything out. Yeah, I wouldn't mind more general replies. Thanks.

--------------------
--ttsmith

Posts: 2 | From: north carolina | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.